Login

History Record View

Title: Re-Arrangements of Boundaries
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:
Text:

The above and original bounds of the civil townships did not remain in force long, for in May, 1830, the following changes took place: Mound, beginning on the Wabash river, at the Vermillion county line; thence west to the Illinois line; thence north to the line dividing townships 20 and 21 north; thence east to King's creek; thence down the same to the line between sections 7 and 8, township 20, range 9; thence east to the Wabash; thence down the same to the place of beginning.

Pike, beginning at the northeast corner of Mound township; thence west to King's creek; thence up the same to the line dividing townships 20 and 21; thence west to the state line; thence north to the line dividing townships 21 and 22; thence east to Rock creek; thence down the same to the Wabash; thence down the same to the place of beginning.

Washington township, beginning on the Wabash, at the mouth of Rock creek; thence up said creek to the line dividing townships 21 and 22; thence west to the state line; thence north to the line between townships 22 and 23; thence east to Pine creek; then down the same to the Wabash river; thence down that stream to place of beginning.

Warren township, beginning at the mouth of Pine creek; thence up said creek to the line between townships 22 and 23; thence east to the line betwwen sections 2 and 3, range 7; thence south to the Wabash; thence to the place of beginning.

Medina township, beginning on the Wabash where the eastern boundary of Warren township intersects the same; thence north to the line dividing townships 22 and 23; thence west to the line dividing ranges 7 and 8; thence north to the county line; thence east to the northeast corner of the county; thence south to the Wabash; thence to place of beginning.

Pine township, beginning at the northwest corner of Medina township; thence south to the line between townships 22 and 23; thence west to the state line; thence north to the northwest corner of Warren county; thence east to the place of beginning. All the attached territory on the north, west of Big Pine creek, was attached to Pine township, and all of such territory east of such creek was attached to Medina township. A few months later all of Medina township in township 22, range7, was attached to Warren township, and the eastern boundary of Warren was made the line dividing ranges 6 and 7, and its northern boundary was made the line dividing townships 22 and 23, from the east side 7 to Pine creek.

The other changes in township boundaries were made in March, 1834, when all of Pine township south and west of Redwood creek was created as Steuben township. In January, 1835, all of the county in township 22, range 6, was attached to Warren township, and in May all the attached territory on the north of Warren county (Benton county, etc.) was created as Madison township, and the election of a justice of the peace was ordered. In March, 1843, Liberty township was created as follows: Beginning on Big Pine creek, where the line between townships 22 and 23 crosses the same; thence west to the state line; thence south to the line between townships 21 and 22; thence east to the southeast corner of congressional township 22, range 8 west; thence north to Big Pine creek; thence up the same to the place of beginning.

In December, 1843, all of township 22, range 8, east of Big Pine creek was severed from Warren and attached to Liberty. In 1848 Adams township (originally known as "J. Q. Adams") was created, with about the same limits it now possesses. In March, 1850, Jordan township was created in its presnet form from the western part of Liberty. Many lesser changes have taken place, but not to materially change the territory of the present townships. The last township to be formed in Warren county was Kent, in September, 1864, from the northern part of Mound township, the act to take effect April 1, 1865.

At the presidential election in 1836, when the candidates were Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison, Hugh L. White, Daniel Webster and Willie P. Mangum, the six original townships in Warren county gave the following vote: Mound township, 119 total; Pike township, 70 total; Washington township, 296 total; Warren township, 90 total; Pine township, 155 total; Medina township, 125 total. These added made a grand total in Warren county, at that election, of eight hundred and fifty-five votes.

The total vote at the presidential election of William Howard Taft in the autumn of 1908 was as follows: Adams township, 144; Jordan township, 222; Kent township, 159; Liberty township, 429; Medina township, 151; Mound township, 129; Pike township, 289; Pine township, 208; Prairie township, 232; Steuben township, 240; Warren township, 322; Washington township, 519.


[Page 328-330.]

Date: 1/1/1913
Origin: Past and Present of Fountain and Warren Counties Indiana
Author: Thomas A. Clifton, Editor
Record ID: 00001193
Type: Book
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 8/10/2001
Collection: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Entered By: Leslie J. Rice

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.