History Record View

Title: Rainsville
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

The village of Rainsville was laid out, as shown by the county records, in April, 1833, by Isaac Rains, on the northwest quarter of section 27, township 23, range 8 west. The orginal plat was nine blocks of eight lots each. The proprietor, Mr. Rains, had settled there in about 1832 and located his mill site, and erected a rude frame dwelling from board sawed at the saw mill he had just finished. His dam was located above the present bridge and was so imperfect that it was often washed out. On the hill near by was found a great granite bowlder which had been split into two parts. He took these and dressed and nicely fitted the parts into one part of his mill and there made corn meal and a coarse grade of wheat flour, "black as your hat." Both the saw and grist mill were of good service to all the new comers to that part of the county. A general store was opened in 1835 by Samuel Harris & Company, which firm carried a stock then valued at one thousand dollars. Several business places started up a little later date, carrying the sign, "Wet and Dry Groceries." The whisky was wet and the coffee dry! A good tannery was added to the business of the place by a Mr. Cowgill, who supplied the shoemakers for miles around with leather. He also made many serviceable horse collars. Rainsville up to 1880 was known as a place where a drink of liquor could be bought, without fail, for forty years. Indians used to go there for "fire water" and it is said they made less trouble and racket than did the white men there residing. It has always been the home of churches and secret society lodges, and today the people are quiet, moral and orderly. It is now on the maps and census reports as a village of about one hundred and twenty people.

[Page 323.]

Date: 1/1/1913
Origin: Past and Present of Fountain and Warren Counties Indiana
Author: Thomas A. Clifton, Editor
Record ID: 00001229
Type: Book
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 8/10/2001
Collection: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Entered By: Leslie J. Rice

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.