Login

History Record View

Title: Freemasonry
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:
Text:

The first lodge of Masons was organized at Williamsport, Williamsport Lodge No. 38 receiving its first dispensation May 29, 1844, the first officers being R. A. Chandler, worshipful master; Levin Miller, senior warden; James H. Buell, junior warden. The lodge about died out after a few years, for in May, 1849, it received another dispensation to work, the following being its first officers: R. A. Chandler, worshipful master; J. H. Buell, senior warden; J. J. McAilly, junior warden; William Hopkins, secretary; Samuel M. Bush, treasurer; John Ray, senior deacon; Isaac Lutz, junior deacon; Robert Allen, tiler. In 1880 it was reported as among the best lodges in Indiana, for its size. In 1878 it erected a two-story brick business block and had its lodge room on the second floor. Every other Masonic lodge in the county received its life and instructions from the Williamsport lodge. It's present membership is not strong.

At State Line, in May, 1861, Mound Lodge No. 274 was instituted, working, however, several years before a charter was obtained. Among the early members were: Walker Hurd, William Jones, W. M. Dixon, David Frazier, A. M. Potter, J. R. Johnson, A. J. Lyon, J. D. Ludlow and Adam Myers. The first master was Walker Hurd.

At Rainsville, in May, 1864, Masonic Lodge No. 315 was instituted; among the charter members were Peter Garner, Joshua Anderson, William Rhode and others. The first to serve as master was William Rhode. In recent years this lodge moved to Pine Village.

At West Lebanon, the lodge known as No. 352 was granted a charter, with the following membership: J. M. Fleming, Joshua Woodward, John Fritz, John W. Brown, John Ray, Isaac Calderwalder, G. S. Fleming, N. V. Wire, M. L. Stephenson, W. M. James. The officers were: J. S. Fleming, worshipful master; G. S. Fleming, senior warden; J. M. Fleming, junior warden.

At Milford (now Marshfield), in 1873, Hedrick Lodge (under dispensation) was instituted, with the following first officers: C. W. Osborn, worshipful master; Edward Pechin, senior warden; H. Anderson, junior warden; J. E. Hedrick, treasurer; H. C. Johnson, secretary; E. S. Johns, junior deacon; A. B. Cronkhite, senior deacon; W. L. Hamilton, tiler.

In 1912 the following Masonic lodges were in Warren county: At Williamsport, Pine Village, Hedrick, West Lebanon, Greenhill and State Line.


[Page 296-297.]

Date: 1/1/1913
Origin: Past and Present of Fountain and Warren Counties Indiana
Author: Thomas A. Clifton, Editor
Record ID: 00001272
Type: Book
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 8/10/2001
Collection: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Entered By: Leslie J. Rice

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.