Login

History Record View

Title: Later Sessions of Circuit Court
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:
Text:

At the October term, 1829, Hon. John R. Porter, president judge, and Nathaniel Butterfield and Samuel B. Clark, associates, were present. The case in chancery, Milton Gerard vs. Emily Gerard et al., came up, but was published and continued. Five cases were considered at this term of court, and two bills of indictment returned by the grand jury. On motion the following seal was adopted: "A brass die, on the outer circle of which letters 'Warren Circ. Courts,' with thirteen stars, on the inner circle, except two, one in the center and the other on the outer circle." Up to this time the court had been held at the house of Enoch Farmer, at the old county seat, Warrenton, but in April, 1830, it convened at the house of William Harrison, proprietor of the newly re-locted seat of justice, Williamsport, though no session was held, owing to the absence of the judge and one of his associate judges. October 7, 1830, the court convened at the court house, all the judges being present. Moses Cox, Edward A. Hannegan and Aaron Finch were admitted as attorneys. In the Gerard chencery case, after the evidence was all in, it was ordered "Adjudged and decreed by the court now here, that the bill of said complainant be taken as confessed;" whereupon certain lands were ordered conveyed to the complainant. Fifteen cases were disposed of at that term. The next term was held in April, 1831, at the house of William Harrison. Peter Christman, upon petition, was given permission to construct a dam and mill on Pine creek, on the northwest quarter of section 22, range 8 west. During the same term Thomas J. Evans, Joseph Tatman and Isaac Pearson were admitted to the bar as attorneys. A decree of divorce was granted Polly Broady, though the defendant was absent. This was the first divorce ever granted in Warren county-but by no means the last! The last session of circuit court held at the Harrison house was that of April, 1831; after that the "court house" was used. Actions during these years were cases for trespass on the case, debt, assault and battery on appeal, affray, adultery against Mathias Redding, domestic attachment, divorce, replevin, to convey land, chancery cases, gaming, breach of the peace, presentment, etc. Hon. E. A. Hannegan was the prosecuting attorney in most all of these state cases. Other attorneys admitted to the bar were David Wallace, A. B. Patterson and R. A. Chandler. In 1833 many indictments for retailing liquor and foreign and domestic groceries and merchandise were returned. In 1833 Isaac Naylor (later judge) and T. R. Brown were admitted to the practice of law; David Brier and Henry D. Lane were admitted in 1834; John Bryce and R. A. Lockwood in 1836.

With the passing of the decades there have been the usual civil and criminal cases tried in Warren county, by an average and honorable list of barristers, a number of whom have made a national reputation, and many have become judges in this and other states.


[Page 245-246.]

Date: 1/1/1913
Origin: Past and Present of Warren and Fountain Counties Indiana
Author: Thomas A. Clifton, Editor
Record ID: 00001373
Type: Book
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 8/10/2001
Collection: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Entered By: Leslie J. Rice

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.