Login

History Record View

Title: Tab Church of Christ
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:
Text:

In the early 1900's, Mr. and Mrs. Harrison (Tab) Goodwine donated land on which to build an new community. This is now known as Tab. A railroad depot, livery stable, post office, blacksmith shop, hotel, elevator and two stores were built. At a later date a bank was built and then in 1907 a school building was added.

The people felt the need for a church. A prayer meeting was held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wyatt, who resided in a house located on the southeast corner of the intersection diagonally from where the church stands. Attending the meeting were Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wyatt, Mr. and Mrs. Ora Goodwine, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Horn, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Walbrath and Mrs. Edna Larch. After several meetings and prayers, tent meeting was planned. This was held on a lot in the southeast corner of Tab. Brother William and Mrs. Laura B. VanDuesen of Lowell, Indiana were called as evangelists. Large crowds attended the meetings from near and far, showing the enthusiasm and need for a church. The first person to accept the invitation was Eiljah Evans. The baptismal services were held at the Tab Goodwine gravel pit. On October 22, 1914, the Church of Christ of Tab, Ind. was organized with 65 charter members.

The Church building was begun in the spring of 1915. Carl Myers, with a team of horses and slipscop, moved the first dir. The women helped by driving the teams. The cement blocks used for building were made by Tab Goodwine on property just went of Tab. There were many heartaches and sorrows before the building was finished.

There is a very dramatic story told concerning the construction of the church building. When the basement was completed and work was progressing on the uper walls a terrific windstorm collapsed part of the west wall and threatened to blow the rest down. It is said that a call went out and many people came from all directions to prevent this from happening . After shoring up the wall they gathered for a prayer meeting which lasted for a day and a night. Then they undertook the difficult chore of cleaning up and rebuilding the fallen portion of the wall. When Mrs. Van Duesen Busell would tell of the call for help and the response of the people, her voice would shake with emotion.

The young congregation held their worship services and Sunday School in the schoolhouse until the structure was finished.

On September 5, 1915, the church building which cost $7,000 was dedicated with Mrs. Van Deusen giving the Dedicatory Address. Mr. C.W. Vauble of Indianapolis assisted There were 129 members of the Tab Church of Christ at that time.

Date: 8/1/1989
Origin: Good Ol' Days
Author: Glowdene Myers
Record ID: 00000141
Type: Book
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 8/10/2001
Collection:
Entered By: Amber M Knipe

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.