Login

History Record View

Title: Hickman Heights Christian
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:
Text:

A group of people met, at the request of Mrs. Ethel Hill, in the Myers school house, August 18, 1912, with Frank Hole minister of the Pine Village Christian Church officiating. During this meeting several of those present made the Good Confession. Brother Hole consented to preach twice a month for this new congregation, and plans were made for the erection of a church.

Land was donated by Mrs. Alvirda Hickman. Brothers James Cline, Frank Hole, Abe and Andy Myers, Jim Fetterling, Jasper Trickey, and other cut the timber for the new church building, and Tom Simmerman was in charge of construction.

The new building was dedicated July 12, 1914, by T.J. Legg and Frank Hole, who ministered to the church until he moved with his family to Oblong, Illinois, in August 1917. Brother Hole was then followed by Brothers Burns and Van Vort. Brother Hole also returned to preach to the congregation several times in 1921, when he was forced to close his ministry because of poor health.

John R. Servies of Crawfordsville, was the minister for three years. During his ministry the church was remodeled, with the addition of the vestibule, bell tower, and the pulpit platform. This addition was dedicated December 2, 1923, by S.E. Day and John Servies.

On October 121, 1964, the Hickman Heights Christian Church observed their 50th anniversary. Many of the original members and ministers of this church were present on this day to give testimony to the strength they had received for their lives in this small rural church. On this day many expressed grave concern for the fact that the small church is passing away, but Hickman Heights still serves as a guiding light of Christ for this rural community. It has survived the lean years; has had plenty in the years of plenty; has served as the spiritual home and shelter for many who have been tossed about on the sea of life.

David G. Finney, who was minister to this congregation since May of 1959, is but one of the long line of distinguished and successful ministers. The leaders of the churchfell, that even though it is located in a rural area, the church is still vital to this community, and serves a great purpose. It is with this though that they have time and time again voted to expand the present facilities, and are now in the process of (1) building a new educational wing, (2) remodeling the present auditorium to increas seating capacity, (3) putting in a new baptistry, (4)landscaping the grounds and providing improved parking facilities, and (5)expanding their ministry to other parts of the world by supporting missionaries in Japan and Brazil, as well as being engaged in raising funds to send their present minister, David Finney, to the country of Zambia, as an educational minister.

May God indeed continue to look upon this congregation and bless it in its struggle to presnet the message of Christ in the world; as it send forth its beacon of light to those who are in need of spiritual help.

Date: 8/1/1989
Origin: Good Ol' Days
Author: Wayne Cassel
Record ID: 00000142
Type: Book
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 8/10/2001
Collection:
Entered By: Amber M Knipe

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.