Login

History Record View

Title: The Hedrick Church of God
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:
Text:

The Hedrick Church of God originated in 1853 from a branch of the Christian Church in West Lebanon. Pastor Shortbridge began preaching the doctrine of the soul's sleeping, or unconscious state of the dead, in the barn of David Evans.

On February 11, 1854 they formed a church called the Peach Grove Church, Warren County, because of a peach orchard at the David Evans farm, where they had their early meetings.

In 1855, the Center School was erected and used for services. It's capacity was increased by stretching canvas at one end and thus doubling its capacity when larger crowds attended.

During the 1870's the congregation felt they needed a permanent place of worship, so they erected a builidng, calling it Pleasant View. It was situated a mile and 3/4 from the Peach Grove and 3 miles from Center school house. It was dedicated in August 1872 by Pastor H.V. Reed of Chicago. One of the pledges made when the house was built was that when not in use by its own people, it should be open to other denominations, so that it witnesses all kinds of preaching by nearly every grade of preacher.

The Pleasant View Chruch in Jordan Township, Warren County, Indiana reorganized September 29, 1890. It was destroyed by a tornado on April 17, 1922. The Church of God then used Heddrick school house until 1949. A church was built in Hedrick and then dedicated in May 1951.

The Hedrick Church has been very active. We built a separate building used for social events. Later we added on to that building, adding classrooms, Pastor's study, kitchen, bathrooms, and a storage room. They also put a foyer on the front of the church.

We have an active youth group meeting every month and a men's fellowship breakfast every three months.

We have Pastor Dennis Cheatwood and wife Mary and daughter Jaymin. Another is expected any day.

We meet every Sunday morning at 9:45 for Sunday School and worship service at 11:00. The youth meet every Sunday evening at 5:00 p.m. We have a prayer and praise service once a month. Everyone is always invited.

Date: 8/1/1989
Origin: Good Ol' Days
Author: Phyllis Taylor
Record ID: 00000144
Type: Book
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 8/10/2001
Collection:
Entered By: Amber M Knipe

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.