Login

History Record View

Title: Early Mills
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:
Text:

A mill was counted a blessing to the new comers of Warren and adjoining counties four score years ago. It was fortunate in having numerous neverfailing streams, on whose grassy banks were erected mills in which the corn and wheat of the pioneer band could be converted into breadstuffs. Prior to 1828, however, the settler was obliged to load up his grain and drive to Fountain county. Henry Stump started his saw-mill in 1828, and Isaac Rains one a little later. The former was on Big Pine creek and the latter at Rainsville, where a small corn cracker was attached to the saw-mill. Francis Boggs commenced sawing lumber near Williamsport, on Big Pine creek, as did Peter Christman on the same stream. Other early mills of the county were erected by William Fincher, Isaac Waymire, William Boggs, Jonathan Cox, Levi Douthert and Frederick Waymire, all building along the Kickapoo creek. Isaac Waymire started a good flouring-mill as early as 1833. S. and O. Munson built a saw- and grist-mill on Little Pine creek as early as 1831, and Christopher Henry had one constructed for sawing lumber and a Mr. Burchren erected a grist-mill. Henry Stewart and John Talbert were each early saw-mill men on the last named stream. Stewart also conducted a small carding-mill, as did also Brier on Big Pine creek. These mills and factories did an extensive business and were much appreciated by the settlers..


[Page 215.]

Date: 1/1/1913
Origin: Past and Present of Fountain and Warren Counties Indiana
Author: Thomas A. Clifton
Record ID: 00001511
Type: Book
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 8/10/2001
Collection: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Entered By: Leslie J. Rice

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.