Login

History Record View

Title: Downtown Judyville
File Attachment:
Attachment Type: image
Text:

This is a 1921 photo of the Judy Systems Office Building built in Judyville in 1903-04. It was loaned to us by Roy Anderson of Williamsport who originally obtained it from Agnes Reynolds. John Finley Judy was the original owner, along with his son, Ole R. Judy.

The two story brick building consisted ot three 23'X 80' rooms and an attached 23' X 60 one story room on the east side. The Judyville Bank and an office where located in the west room. The center room served as a grocery store and post office with Ole Judy as the first postmaster in 1903. He also succeeded Ray Barwick in 1921, who also ran the grocery and variety store.

In the 1930's this space was used by Warren County Farm Bureau Co-op with Ulrich Hunter as manager of the buld plant located east down the tracks from the elevator. Route drivers were Lester Day, Herbert Pugh, and Meredith Larch.

East rooms were used as a harness shop by Court Woody. He had $700 worth of equipment and bough $1000 of leather at a time. Logan Hunt was bookkeeper for the Judy Systems.

J.F. Judy left Judyville in 1923 ofr Calgary, Alberta, Canada and later Glendale Calif. He returned to the town in 1931 shortly before his death. This building was razed in 1966 and the brick were used in the construction of the Elizabeth Day and Larry Crane homes on Oakwood Drive, Williamsport.

Date: 1/1/1921
Origin: unknown
Author:
Record ID: 00001577
Type: Periodical
Source Archive: Warren County Historical Society
Date Entered: 8/10/2001
Collection: Judyville
Entered By: Amber M Knipe

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.