Login

History Record View

Title: Warren County's Court Houses
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:
Text:

Warren County was organized in 1827, by act of the Legislature. Up to this time it had been a part of Wabash county. The county-seat was located at or near where Robert Milligan now lives and was named Warrenton. This wasin 1827. In 1829 by act of the Legislature the county-seat was relocated, Williamsport being chosen. The first court was held at the house of Enoch Farmer in Warrenton. Farmer's house, being of hewed logs, for this purpose had been named by the Lesilature. A "scroll" was adopted as the seal of the court. When the courts began at Williamsport they were held in the hewed log house of William Harrison.

July, 1832, E. W. Jones and Seth Flowers contracted with the Commissioners to build a court house at Williamsport. It was to be 40 feet long and 40 feet wide, two stories high, or 23 feet, and to be ready for occupancy August, 1833. Delays intervened and it was not finished until June, 1834. Cost was $2,000. B. H. Magee was paid $129 to paint it. In June, 1845, Richard Treadway was given the contract to build a brick building south of the court house for $868.50. This building had three romms and were for the use of the county officers. Three years later Treadway was paid $627 to build brick, fire-proof vaults on the rear for the safe keeping of the records. In 1853 James Jones was given the contract for building a 2-room building on the north side of the courthouse. The cost was $1,050. This building was used by the County Clerk and County Recorder. The building south of the court house was used by the Auditor, Treasurer and Sheriff. He afterwards kept his office in the court house. All these buildings stood until after the new court house was built on the top of the hill in 1871 and accepted in December, 1872.

In March, 1855, the Commissioners ordered the removal of the court house to the present site. Plans and specifications were advertise4d for and in May the contract was let to Pearce who had it ready in January, 1886, for business. It had stood twenty years when the fire came. In the 79 years of the county court houses have cost an annual average, first cost, of $1089.58 plus. The fire of the 20th is the first to occur in the County's buildings working such damage.

Date: 1/31/1907
Origin: The Warren Republican
Author:
Record ID: 00002574
Type: Periodical
Source Archive: Warren County Historical Society
Date Entered: 8/10/2001
Collection: Court House
Entered By: Leslie J. Rice

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.