History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport In. Warren Review- Thursday, April 30, 1891 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

J.M. Harvey, the leader of the Farmers' Alliance in Montgomery, dropped dead while delivering a fierce invective before an alliance meeting at Waynetown. We take the following account of the suicide of James E. Mathis from the Girard (Kan.) Herald. He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. S.B. Mathis of this place and was born and raised in this county: "Last Tuesday morning at 7 o'clock, James E. Mathis, one of the old residents of Girard, living in the north east part of town, committed suicide. He had worked about the house the day before and seemed to be in fair health. Tuesday morning he got up, ate breakfast with his wife and child, and complained of being unwell. He asked his wife to go over to a neighbor's house and get a boy to do some work. While she was gone, he took down his double-barreled shotgun, went into the north bedroom, sat down upon a chair and fired the shot, which caused his death. The back of his head was completely blown off, and blood, brains and skull were thrown all over the ceiling and on the doors and windows of the room. Mr. J.E. Walker, a neighbor, took charge of the body, leaving it where it had fallen from the chair, and sent for the county coroner. The details of the inquest we give below: Mrs. Anna B. Mathis, wife of the deceased, was sworn and said, "I am the wife of James E. Mathis, now dead. He arose this morning seemingly as well as usual, took breakfast with me, but ate only a little. My husband asked me to go to Mr. Tomlinsons's house and have him come over before he went to work. On the way to Tomlinson's, I heard the report of a gun. I was frightened, because he was in poor health and had been for a long time and he often wished he was dead. When I came back home, Mr. Tomlinson was with me. I looked in the room and saw my husband lying with the gun across his breast, and blood spattered all over the room. His hand was trembling, but knew my husband was dead. There was no one in and about the house after I left it. I took my baby with me, as he wanted me to. Mr. Tomlinson lives about 100 yards from our house. I was not gone more than five minutes. There was not time for anyone to go to the house and get away before I got back." D.C. Tomlinson, being sworn said, "I live 100 yards west from Mr. Mathis' house. This morning between six and seven o'clock Mrs. Mathis came to my house and said Mr. Mathis wanted to see me. I went with her back to her house. As I went into the house Mrs. Mathis was ahead. He was not in the kitchen or the sitting room. She called him, but there was no answer. She then looked in the bedroom and started back saying, "Good Lord, he has shot himself." I looked in the room and there was smoke as if it had come from the gun, which was lying across his breast." Mrs. Eliza Kidough was sworn and said, "I live across the street from the Mathis House. This morning I heard a shot fired. Did not know where it was. I went to the door to learn where it came from. I saw Mrs. Mathis going into Mr. Tomlinson's house, and afterwards I saw her crying and asked her what was wrong, and she said, "My husband has shot himself." I went out thinking something might be done for him and found him dead, a gun lying across his body and blood around him. He was lying on the floor with his knees against the bedstead. It was between six and seven o'clock this morning." The coroner, Dr. C.A. Fisher, did not arive at noon, and the county commissioners sent W.B. Crawfod, Justice of the Peace. to hold an inquest, if necessary. After making inquiry and taking the testimony of three persons named above, he concluded it was not necessary to call a jury. Before he had finished the work the coroner arrived and confirmed his action. James. E. Mathis was 43 years old and leaves a wife and a one-year-old baby boy. He had been married twice, and has two grown daughters who live in western Kansas. He came to Crawford County in 1869, being one of the first residents of Girard. An infant of Jacob Wiles, living near the company mines on Fall Creek, died Saturday and was buried at the Slauter graveyard in Liberty Township Sunday. The little infant was about six weeks old, being one of the twins which were reported to have been born, one on the 4th and one on the 5th day of March, the other having died when about a week old. They were never strong and went down from the first, the one living only a week, while the other survived six. By request of Mr. Wiles, we make the following corrections. The children were both born on the 4th of March and not one on the 4th and the other on the 5th as stated. Also, that there was no doctor in attendance. That Dr. McMullen was sent for the evening of the 4th, but that he did not come until the morning of the 5th, when his services were not needed and he gave no aid or medicine. Etta McBride Morfoot was born Sept. 16, 1864 and departed this life and 1 o'clock a.m., April 17th, 1891, aged 26 years, 7 months, and 1 day. Mary Etta was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John McBride. who up to the mothers death, some years ago, have lived in the county, since their marriage. Mrs. Moorfoot was one of a large family of children and spent most of her girlhood days in West Lebanon. In 1884, the 10th of October, she was married to Elmer Morfoot of this place, where they have since lived very happily. Four children were born to them, all of which preceded thier mother to the sweet heaven of rest. The last, whose life went out with hers, was buried in its mother's arms. The funeral conducted by the Rev. Wm Wilmer was held at the residence Friday evening and the remains were laid to rest in Hillside cemetery. Mary Etta was a loving mother and a faithful wife, and all who knew her was her friend. She and her husband had worked hard to build up a home which they had jut succeeded in doing, and though her death seems inopportune, yet our thougths are not God's thoughts, neither are His ways man's ways, and we must look up and trust that all is for the best. She may not come to her lone and desolate companion, but in time he may go to her.

Date: 4/30/1891
Origin: Warren Review extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharron Roberts
Record ID: 00003308
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 11/12/2013
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.