History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport IN. Warren Review - Thursday March 19, 1891 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

The usual tranquility of the Village was broken last Saturday morning by the startling news that Albert Cobb, an influential and respected citizen had been found dead in his yard about 2 o'clock that morning. The facts as gleaned by our reporter, who visted the Village that day are as follows: Mr. Cobb left his place of business, which is one of general merchandise, upon the west side of Main Street, about 7:30 Friday evening and signified his intention of going home, which was about a quarter of a mile east. It was not known but that he felt in the best of health. He was last seen alive by friends, going directly home. It was bitter cold and the house standing in the center of a large yard, he seemed to have entered, which was unusual, at the corner of the lot and took across. When he had made about half the distance between the corner and the house he seemed to have dropped lifeless upon the snow, without a struggle. His footprints in the snow, even the last, up to where he was found, were perfectly regular. At about 2 o'clock in the morning, Mrs. Cobb, her husband failing to return, could endure the suspense no longer and went in search for him, when he was found as stated, cold and still in death, with his face, feet and hands fronzen, indicating that he had been dead some hours. Death is supposed to have been instantaneous, resulting from heart disease. Mr. Cobb was a young man, thought to be perfectly hale, of splendid habits and good business qualities, and his loss will be deeply felt in the community. Mr. Cobb was about 40 years old and leaves a wife and three children, besides many relatives and friends to mourn their loss. The funeral services were held at the family residence at 2 o'clock p.m. Sunday, conducted by the Rev. J. W. McKenzie, former pastor of the Pine Village M. E. Church, of which Mr. Cobb was a member, assisted by Rev. J. C. Kemp, the present pastor. At the close of these sevices, the body was taken in charge by his brother Knights of Pythias, of which order he recently became an enthusiastic member, and the march with about 300 knights from the different chapters at West Lebanon, Williamsport, Attica, Oxford, Boswell and the home lodge, together with a large concourse of friends in procession, was taken up to the Pine Village Cemetery. At the grave the solemn and impressive funeral rites of the order were performed and the earthly remains of Brother Cobb were consigned to their rest until he shall join the great, triumphant lodge above at the resurrection call. Sudden Death of Andrew Odle. Among the other startling announcements last Saturday morning was that of the sudden death of Andrew, brother of Thomas Odle of this place from neuralgia of the heart, about 2 o'clock a.m. at the residence of J.A. A. Brooks, his son-in-law, who lives on the Stephen Slauter place, near town. Mr. Odle was about 76 years old, and was an old resident of the county having lived until within the last year when he came to make his home with Mr. Brooks near Pine Village. He had been complaining about two weeks previous to his death but was not thought to be dangerous, and died almost without a moment's warning. The remains were interred in the Pine Village Cemetery about 1 o'clock p.m. Sunday. Whirled Into Eternity By Train 91! A number from this place have been attending from time to time, the revival meetings, which are in progress at Carbondale, six miles north of this place. Last Friday night a number had arranged to go out in a big wagon, but owing to the bitter coldness of the evening, only three, Enos Moore, John Hodgson, J. D. Wilson, braved the elements. Upon the return trip the pastor, Rev. T.E. Webb in his carriage, drove just in front of them, reaching town about 10:35 p.m. At the railroad crossing Rev. Webb was about one hundred yards ahead of the wagon, and hearing the engine puffing in the cut a full quarter of a mile east, he drove across the track with no thought of danger to the other party. The long switch to the north of main track, from which direction the party was coming, was filled with boxcars, the last one standing west being a passenger coach well lighted up, and belonging to an Uncle Tom's Cabin Co., that occupied the boards here that evening, which completely hid all view of the main track. The ground being frozen the wagon made considerable noise, and the three were sitting in the bottom of the wagon bed to keep warm. Hearing no train and no signals of any kind, and seeing that the carriage had passed over just in front of them, they supposed they were perfectly safe and drove upon the crossing when to their horror they found the engine of a west bound train almost upon them. All but the hind wheels of the wagon had cleared the track when the engine struck it, and mashing the left hind wheel, it threw the rear end of the wagon high in the air, and full fufteen feet to the southwestward, when the lighting intact the horses started to run. Moore and Wilson, though terribly shaken up and thrown against the sides of the bed, which aided them, managed to remain in the wagon and succeeded in stopping the team opposite of the lumber yard office, when they found that Mr. Hodgson, who had been in the rear end of the wagon, was gone. Mr. Wilson hastening back in search of him, soon found the apparently lifeless body near the west walk, some fifteen feet to the west of where the wagon was struck, with the head lying within about two feet of the track and his feet to the southward. Help was summoned, and signs of life being manifested, he was carried into Stark's Hotel when two hours later, after every possible medical service had been rendered, he died at 1 o'clock Saturday morning. The only possible theory, from the nature of the wounds and the results of such a shock, is that Mr. Hodgson, when the shock came, was thrown east and northward, as the wagon was whirled partly around, and that the engine struck him, crushing in his skull and throwing him to where he was found. Below we append statements of those who were so near to being this good man's companions in death, and also those of the attending physicians, that our readers may draw their own conclusions as to the terrible affair: "I came in from meeting at Carbondale with Isaac Wilson and John Hodgson in my wagon, about 10:40 Friday night, March 13th. When we reached the crossing, Rev. Webb, in his buggy, which I was following, crossed the track, stopping to listen for train, not 50 feet ahead of us. The train was not signaling, and was runnuing at a rate of about 20 miles per hour. The engine struck the left hind wheel behind the hub, mashing the wheel and throwing the wagon from the track. We were sitting in the bottom of the wagon. I was not moved, having hold on the lines. Wilson was thrown against the east side of the bed, and Hodgson disappeared. When I first saw him, he lay near the west walk about 20 feet away from the place where the wagon was struck and was gasping for breath. We carried him to Stark's Hotel where he died at 1 o'clock Saturday morning. My opinion is that he was not strck by the train." -Enos Moore. "I came in from meeting at Carbondale with Enos Moore and John Hodgson in a wagon. It was about 10:40 p.m., Friday, March 13th, when we reached the crossing. Rev. Webb crossed the track about 100 yards ahead of us. He stopped and thought there was no danger. We saw or heard no train until we were on the track and then it was just upon us. The engine was giving no signals and was running at the rate of about 20 miles per hour. The engine struck the left hind wheel of the wagon, mashing the wheel and throwing the wagon from the track. We three were sitting in the bottom of the bed when the wagon was struck. I was thrown east against the side of the bed violently. Moore was not moved and Hodgson was thrown west. Do not think engine struck him. When we found him he lay apparently lifeless near the walk, 20 feet away from the place where the wagon was struck, head toward the track about two feet away. Carried him to Stark's Hotel and summoned physicians. His skull was crushed and his face brusied. He died at 1 o'clock Saturday morning." -Isaac Wilson. "We were called about 10:35 Friday night to see John Hodgson, who had been injured at the railroad crossing. Saw him at Stark's Hotel. Found him unconscious with the right side of the skull completely crushed in, the right eye almost forced out of the socket, breathing very heavy and labored, and with no return of conciousness. He died at 1 o'clock Saturday morning. It is our opinion that his skull was crushed by a blow from the engine." -Leroy Swank, S.C. Fenton, M.D., S. N. Osborn, M.D. *It may have been caused by an indirect blow by falling in such a way that his head coming in contact with a tie or other hard substance. From the above it appears that the company is liable, through the criminal carelessness of its empolyees. It appears to be fully substantiated that the train failed to make the proper signals, and that it was running at much above the rate prescribed by law through incorporated towns. We are reliably informed that the train was No. 91, known as the merchants' train and seldom consists of over 25 cars, usually lightly loaded; that its time is 10:43 p.m. and it was drawn by engine No. 350, Powers engineer, and was running at the rate of about 20 miles per hour. The train was not stopped. An accident at the above mentioned crossing has long been expected and our people have been repeatedly warned by narrow escapes. But recently the Review spoke out very plainly upon the Company's utter disregard of the law, and the danger to our people. These warnings have now been sealed with lifeblood of one of our best citizens. Will we heed it? A hush of sadness as fallen upon our city, as it stands beside the bier of its faithful councilman, and is set face to face with the great danger which daily confronts us. John Hodgson was one among the oldest citizens of Williamsport, having come here, as he often told us, in the fall of 1853, with a contractor who began work upon the roadbed of the Wabash at a point where the crossing now is, at which Mr. Hodgson was killed. Mr. Hodgson came as a carpenter to construct wheelbarrows for the dirt wheelers, and cut the first timber to build him a shop, from the place at the crossing where he lost his life at over 64 years of age and more than 37 years ago. Mr. Hodgson was born in Lincolnshire, England, and upon his marriage in 1852 to his companion, now in loneliness, sorrow and tears, came to New York state and a year later to Williamsport, where he has lived and died. Brother Hodgson has been a devoted Christian and a faithful citizen, and a halo of light clusters around his memory as he enters into rest. He will be remembered by the good he has done. The funeral sevices conducted by Rev. Webb, assisted by Rev. Ogden, took place at the M. E. Church Monday at 2 o'clock p.m., after which the remains were interred in Hillside Cemetery. Business was practically suspended, the schools were closed and the whole community felt the freat solemnity of the occasion. The funeral was one among the largest ever held in Williamsport. Obituary. Minnie Cronkhite Hedrick was born July 21st, 1867, and departed this life March 7th, 1891, aged 23 years, 7 months and 15 days. She was the youngest daughter of Levi and Mary A. cronkhite, of Steuben Township. She was married to Scott L. Hedrick of Hedrick, Ind., May 31st, 1885. The young couple lived for several years upon their farm near Hedrick, where a little daughter was born to them. Last spring they moved to Danville, ILL., with the intention of making that city their permanent home. Early in January of this year, Minnie had a severe illness, which lasted for two weeks. On Saturday, Jan. 27th, she came to her father's for a short visit. In a few days she became seriously ill again and after weeks of great suffering the summons came and the young life was ended. She died of chronic pneumonia and inflammation of the lungs. For three days before her death her delirium was terrible, although she seemed to recognize her friends until the last. The deceased leaves her husband, her little daughter, Jessie, her aged father and mother, her brothers and sisters and many friends to mourn her loss. The funeral took place Monday, March 9th, in the M. E. Church at West Lebanon, and was attended by a large concourse of relatives and friends. The services were conducted by the Rev. Colbrath Hall assisted by the Rev. C. B. Mock, after which the remains were interred in the West Lebanon Cemetery. The writer knew the deceased from her earliest childhood and her heart is full of tender memories of the loving obedient girl who was her pupil for three years, and she would say to the friends, "There is a Balm in Gilead for every woe." The sorrows for our loved ones, in tenderness akin to that of Him who wept at the tomb of Lazarus. God's ways seem at times inscrutable to our human eyes, but if we hold fast to Christ by the arm of faith every sorrow will work for us "an exceedingly weight of glory." May the departure of this soul be sanctified to the eternal good of all who knew and loved her. Andre Odle of Williamsport was buried at Pine Village last Sunday. Albert Cobb, who kept a stock of merchandise in the village, left his place of business Friday evening; a few minutes before 8 o'clock to go home. When within a few rods of his home, he dropped dead. Not coming home at the usual hour, Mrs. Cobb became alarmed and sent the servant girl to James Minniear, a near neighbor, and sent him in search of Mr. Cobb. Upon entering the gate, the girl discovered Mr. Cobb lying dead upon the ground. Acting with a fair presence of mind went on and informed Mr. Minniear, who gave the alarm. The friends came in and broke the news to her. Mr. Cobb was forty years old and leaves a wife and three children. He had been a member of Achilles Lodge, No. 200 K of P, but a short time, in the honors of which order he was buried, with Attica, Williamsport, Boswell and Oxford lodges attending.

Date: 3/19/1891
Origin: Warren Review extract from microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003309
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 11/12/2013
Collection: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.