History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport In. Warren Review- Thursday, December 17, 1891 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

William Cameron died at his home on North Monroe Street Wednesday morning, Dec. 15th,1891, at about 7 o'clock Mr. Cameron has been a sufferer from a cancer for some three or four years, and his condition becoming much worse during the past two months, his disease was not unexpected. By his death is removed one of Williamsport's most enterprising citizens and one among the early born citizens of the county. Mr. Cameron was the son of William and Sarah Cameron, who emigrated to this state from Kentucky, at an early day and settled near Newport, where William was born, June 16th, 1825. Soon after the birth of William the family moved to this county, settiling on the farm now owned by W.C. Smith in Liberty Township. The family remained here but a short time when they moved to nerthern Illinois and permanently settled. Upon reaching his maturity, William returned to this county and upon August 12th, 1847, was united in marriage to Miss Matilda J. Moore, with whom he has since lived most happily, and who still survives him. Of this union, but one child, a son, James, was born, who in the prime of manhood passed over to the shores of the great unknown to be ready to welcome the coming of his aged father. Upon his marriage, Mr. Cameron moved to northern Illinois where he remained about five yeras at the end of which time he returned to this county and purchasing land near the springs in Liberty Township, lived there until in 1888 when he moved to this city. He was instrumental in opening up the celebrated Indiana Mineral Springs, fast becoming famous as a great health and pleasure resort, and which for a long time bore its early proprietor's name. When the Civil War broke out, Mr. Cameron enlisted at his country's call and during a three years' service his worth is attested by the fact that he rose to the rank of First Lieutenant. He belonged to no secret order, but delighted in doing good to his fellow men. As a citizen he occupies a warm place in the hearts of our people. He was enterprising and always ready to lend a helping hand to the poor, and to any public enterprise. The improvements made on Hillside Cemetery, by his own personal efforts and an expenditure of his own private funds will tell in years to come of his generostiy and had he been spared to carry his plans of further improvement into effect, the last resting places of our dead would have been further greatly beautified. Mr. Cameron at the time of his death was 66 years and 6 months old. He became a member of the Presbyterian Church the 25 of last November, receiving the ordinance of baptism by the Rev. Wilmer. The funeral services conducted by the Rev. Wilmer assisted by A.J. Patterson, were held at the Presbyterian Church in this city Thursday at 2 o'clock p.m., after which interment took place in Hillside Cemetery upon the family lot which Mr. Cameron had prepared with so much care. The funeral was one of the largest held in Williamsport for many a day. The bereaved freidns have the sympathies of our entire people in this sad hour of trial.

Date: 12/17/1891
Origin: Warren Review extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharron Roberts
Record ID: 00003341
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 12/3/2013
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.