History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Reveiw - Thursday, June 7, 1894 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Sad is it indeed when a young life, full of hope and the promise of future usefulness is called to pass the portals of the unseen world, and though death is the saddest thought of man, whether in age of youth, yet the death of the young is the saddest of all. Just in the springtime of life, when the flowers seem the most fragrant and sweet, and the soul is inspired by the noblest thoughts and aspirations, sipping as if it were the very dewdrops of the morning of life, death is a sad vistor, and the thought brings the darkest gloom to all our hearts. This it was with Lawrence Spinger when he returned home from Williamsport in February with the fingerprints of death on his every look- that dreaded of all diseases, consumption, having a firm hold on his life, and ending all with him on last Wednesday morning. Lawrence Hamilton Spriner was born August 15th, 1874, and died May 30th, 1894, aged 19 years, 9 months and 15 days. Lawrence was a bright, noble young man, whose death is mourned by all who knew him. He was foreman on the Williamsport Warren Review for about 2 years, and had won the highest regard and confidence of the editor and all with whom he came in contact. He confessed the Savior and was taken in as a member of the M. E. Church the first of the week. The funeral services were conducted Thursday afternoon at the M. E. Church by Rev. Stafford in an interesting and appropiate manner. The church was beautifully decorated with floral emblems. The gate ajar, which opened to the singing of the beautiful song of the same title, was touching and pathetic, and in accord with the motto: "The links broken here shall be united in heaven." After the funeral services were over the remains were followed by the sorrowing relatives and friends to their last resting place in the Masonic cemetery west of town. The death of Lawrence comes with particular force to his many friends, young and old, which he made here during almost a three year's stay in our employ. He was an exemplary young man and was loved by all, and we can but say, "amen" to every word of the above, and that "God's will be done." This community greatly sympthizees with the bereaved ones. Mrs. Josie Simmerman, wife of Nelson Simmerman, died of consumption last Saturday. She will be sadly missed by her family. She leaves a husband and four children. Micheal, the little eight year old son of Ignatz Pritchett, living along the line of the Wabash Railroad about half way between Attica and Independence in Fountain County, fel between the cars while attempting to board an eastbound freight about 4 o'clock Sunday evening and was so badly mangled that he died soon after. He, with two other boys, was playing near the track and over his companions' protests he attempted to jump on the train. One leg was entirely severed from the body and was carried to the house by one of the boy's companions. He lived until his wounds were dressed by physicians, but could not survive shock. The funeral services were held from the Catholic Church in Attica Tuesday, after which the remains were laid to rest in the Catholic Cemetery south of the above city. Henry A. Carter was born at Green Hill, Indiana, March 8th, 1869 and died Sunday, May 20th, 1894, at 11 o'clock p.m., at Portland, Oregon, aged 25 years, 2 months and 12 days. He was the second son of Martin V. and Lizzie Carter of this place. He was taken ill with typhoid pneumonia, resulting in water on the brain and brain fever. He died after an illness of four weeks, two of which were passed in the hospital. Six physicians were in attendance, but could do nothing for him. For two years prior to his death, he was a member of the YMCA of Portland, Oregon, and was a member of the Reception Committee of the Society. He was working in a box factory, and upon the day of the funeral the factory closed to allow the men to attend. Interment occurred Tuesday, May22nd, Rev. J. N. Dennison of the Centenary Methodist Church officiating. Six of the YMCA brothers acted as pallbeares. When 17 years of age, Henry left his home here, going to Kansas City, where he remained three years, working in a glue factory, of which he finally became foreman. He returned to this place April 1st, 1889, and remained 14 months, when he again left, going to Hammond, Indiana, where he remained only a week. From Hammond he went to Ogden, Utah, where he found employment in the goverment service. From there he went to Puget Sound, Washington, and thence to Portland, Oregon. Henry was a graduate of the Common School of this county and was a promising young man. He was industrious and of good habits, and his death has been a great shock to the friends here, and a great affliction to his parents, brothers and sisters, who have the sympathy of all.

Date: 6/7/1894
Origin: Warren Review extracted from microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003456
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 3/4/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.