History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Review- Thursday, August 2, 1894 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Louis Hetrick, the 18 years old son of Jackson Hetrick of East Liberty Township, hung himself last Friday afternoon in the small grove northeast of his father's residence to a small tree with a piece of hickory bark which he had pealed from a tree. The body was not found until about 4 o'clock Wednesday evening, search having been made since Sunday, when it was discovered by the mother and a neighbor's daughter. Deputy Coroner Fisher was at onve notified and held an inquest about 9 o'clock last night, when the body, a black, putird mass was hanging from a limb within easy reach and with feet touching the ground, was cut down and arranged for burial, which takes place this morning. No cause other than despondence or dissatisfaction has as yet developed, the act seemingly being a most deliberate one. The boy's father states that Louis left the house after dinner Friday, saying he was going to help someone thresh, and not returning, search Sunday was instituted for him, but not a specific one until Tuesday. It seems he was direct to the grove where found hanging yesterday and deliberately prepared for the taking of his life. He first cut his initials into the tree he had selected and then hanging his hat on a convenient limb, adjusted the hickory thong about his neck and was soon in the Great Unknown The family of the unfortunate boy is heart broken, and have the deep sympathy of all. The little 2-year-old son of Oakley Bright of Pine Township was kicked to death by horses in the lot last Thursday morning. The funeral services were held Friday. The nineteen-year-old son of Doc Gephart died last Friday from congestion of the bowels. The funeral services were held Sunday. To the many friends of the family who greatly sympathize with the bereaved, this is sad news. The Danville, Ill. Commercial says: a foul murder was perpetrated Wednesday afternoon on the Skinner farm near Perrysvile. The parties implicated were Henry Skinner, a well to do farmer and his stepson, Jefferson Starks. Starks had been to Perrysville and came home filled with red liquor and in a decidedly fighting mood. He raised a fuss with his stepfather and was driven from the place. He secured a shotgun and fired two shots at Mr. Skinner through the door without effect. The gun was taken from Starks by his mother. The infuriated man then picked up a tile spade dealing a blow, which instantly killed Mr. Skinner. Starks was arrested, taken to Gessie and on to Newport where he was lodged in jail. He confessed to the crime.

Date: 8/2/1894
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003461
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 3/11/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.