History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Review - Thursday, October 11, 1894 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Edward Anderson living in Tippecanoe County, son of Robert Anderson of this place and son-in-law of John Marlatt, died at his home in the above county of typhoid fever at 10 o'clock Monday night. The remains were brought here at 12:38 Wednesday and laid to rest in the new burying plot at Hillside Cemetery. News was recieved here Monday of the sudden death from heart disease Sunday night of Mrs. James Johnson. She was about 70 years old, among the old residents of the county and loved and respected by all who knew her. The funeral services were held yesterday, interment being made in the West Lebanon Cemetery. Mrs. Wm Ellenberger was killed at her home near Foster, Wednesday , by jumnping from a buggy, thinking the horse was running away. Her skull was crushed and she died almost instantly. Died at Chicago, Ill., October 4th, 1894 at 7:00 o'clock p.m., Elizabeth, wife of Allen C. Durborow, aged 73 years. The funeral services were held at the family residence, 543 W. Adams Street, Saturday afternoon, Rev. T. N. Morrison, rector of Epiphany Episcopal Church officiating. At their conclusion, her four sons acting as pallbearers, carried her body to the hearse and the remains were taken via the Pennsylvania Railroad, to Philadelphia, at which place they were interred in the family lot in Laurel Hill Cemetery. Mrs. Mary Killinger died at her home near Pine Village after an illness of four months and suffered great pain. She was born in Wurtenberg, Germany, Oct. 3d, 1831. THe deceased was an estimable Christian, joining the Lutheran Church when she was 14 years of age. She came to this country in 1855 and was married to Jacob Killinger in 1858 where they moved to Warren County when she lived until the time of her death at which she leaves a husband and six daughters to mourn her loss. Two girls are married and four remain at home. The deceased died Sept. 23rd, 1894 and the funeral services were held on Monday at 1 o'clock at her home and was followed to her rest in the Matindale Cemetery by the Lutheran preacher and a great many relatives and friends. Amelia Cronkhite, wife of Hosea Cronkhite, and daughter of George W. Reynolds, was born August 23rd, 1851. When quite a small girl she went to live with her grandparents. She lived with them until their death. She then went to live with and keep house for her uncle, Austin Reynolds. She lived with him until his death. June 15th, 1876, she was united in marriage to Hosea Cronkhite, and to them three children were born-Elmer, Oct. 11, 1877; earl, Jan. 28th, 1885; Clarence, Jan 21, 1890. Of these children, Clarence alone is living. In 1881 she moved to Williamsport, Ind., with her husband, who was then acting Deputy Sheriff. After two years they removed to the farm in Steuben Township. In 1889 they removed again to the prairie farm, where they were still living at the time of her demise. On Friday, September 14th, she was taken sick with typhoid fever, and gradually grew worse in resistance to all that medical skill and attention of loving friends and neighbors could do, realizing from the very first of her sickness that death was winning. She made all arrangements for the future. She made a special request of her husband to still continue to keep house and always keep Clarence, the little boy, with him. She also expressed her readiness to die, saying she had tried to live a good life and was not afraid to meet the Black Messenger, come when he may. She was perfectly conscious until death, expressing a knowledge of all that was said to her by a nod of the head. Death came to her in the early morning of Tuesday, September 25th, 1894. The funeral sermon was preached at the home on Thursday morning, by Elder McBroom, after which she was laid to rest in the beautiful cemetery at West Lebanon. Amelia Cronkhite was not an ordinary woman. The writer of this sketch has known her several years. An unkind word was never known to pass her lips. She was generous without fault. But she is gone! The grim messenger has once more visited our midst and taken from a happy home, from a loving husband, from a little child, and from dear friends, one whose place can never be filled. While her form has passed away from us and we can no longer hear her loving voice, yet there comes back to us from memory recollections of her life in most beautiful pictures. Can a mother's love be supplied? No! A thousand time, no! We never can forget how, at eventide, when we came home after the day's work was done, how she would greet us with that love which only a mother hath. O, mother's grave! Earth has some sacred spots where we feel like loosing our shoes from off our feet and treading with reverence; when common words of social converse seem rude, and friendship's hands have lingered in each other, where vows have been plighted, prayers offered, and tears ot parting shed. Oh! How thought hover around such places, and travel back through unmeasured tread to visit them. Of all the spots on earth none are so sacred as a mother's grave. There she sleeps, and we love the earth for her sake. The fifteen-mont-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Talbot, living near town, died last Wednesday night after a week's illness of dropsy. The little one was an unusually bright child for one of her age, and the loss is a most severe one to the young parents. The funeral occurred Friday, the remains being laid to rest at Mound Prairie in the sounthern part of the county.

Date: 10/11/1894
Origin: Warren Review extracted from microfilm
Author: Sharen Roberts
Record ID: 00003476
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 3/18/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.