History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Review - Thursday, April 11, 1895 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Mrs. Lewis Reed died at her home two miles west of Rainsville, Thursday of last week from typhoid fever. She left a husband and three children. Miss Maggie Reardon died in this city on last Saturday, March 29th. She was born in Williamsport on July 29th, 1863, and consequently was 31 years and 8 months old. she was attacked with grippe three years ago and never recovered, though able to work until three weeks ago. She came to Attica three years ago and was from that time continuously in the employ of J. Frank McDermond, in the dressmaking department. She suffered much but though it all showed patience that evidence the kindly Christian spitit. Her industry was proverbial and it is told of her that she kept her mind and hands busy when it was necessary for her to stop and rest several times while going from her home to her work. All this burden she accepted without a murmur of complaint, cheerfully performing her duty and showing a lovely character that was admired by al who knew her. She left parents and brothers and sisters who have the sympathy of all the people in their deep trouble. The funeral services were held on last Monday in the Catholic Church in this city, Rev. Father Lemper conducting the services and, in a very touching manner, describing the beautiful life of the deceased and her faithfulness in all things. The floral offerings were numerous and beautiful, indicating the esteem in which the deceased was held in this vicinity. Jonathan D. Rhode died at his home in the city of Lafayette on the 30th day of March 1895. He lacked one day only of being 43 years old, having been born on the 1st day of April 1852. He was married to Emma I. Milligan on the 12th day of March 1878. This was a happy union and peace and felicity reigned in their home. He was the son of Aunt Lucy Rhode of Pine Village and from this fact we know that his childhood days were spent in a happy home. Johnny Rhode, as we called him, was a genial man, as everyone knows that had the pleasure of hs acquaintance. Though an invalid for many years before his death, this did not interfere with his good nature. The writer conversed with him only a week before his depature and though his suffering was great, he spoke with the word of cheer. To him departure was gain. He died full of hope and no one doubts that all is well with him. He left no children. He left two brothers, Curtis and James, on sister, Mrs. Celia Sailor, his devoted mother and affectionate wife, who cared for him and ministered to his wants as only a mother and wife can. The funeral discourse was preached in the M. E. Church in Pine Village by the Rev. J. C. Kemp. Rev. A. D. Rogers assisted in the ceremonies. The remains were laid to rest in the Quaker Cemetery near Winthrop. He sleeps, but not forever, he shall rise again. Charles Fugate, well known to many in this county and especially in Williamsport, died at his home in Attica at 1:30 p.m. last Thursday of pneumonia after but a brief illness. He was bridge carpenter on the C. & I. and came home Saturday to spend Sunday with his family He retired as well, apparently as usual, but was awakened in night with a chill. He grew rapidly worse, his physician pronouncing it deep-seated pneumonia, and died the following Thursday. He was born in Covington Feb. 2nd, 1855. Moving thence to Attica where his family has always lived. In Nov. 1883, he was united in marriage to Mrs. Emma Stinespring living in Williamsport the following year when he united with the M. E. Church of this place. In 1884 a little daughter, Pearl, was born to them, who in 1886 preceded the father to the other shore. Charles Fugate was 40 years, 2 months and two days old at the time of his death, and was a model husband and a good citizen and will be sadly missed by his wide circle of friends. The funeral services, conducted by the Rev. Kinzie were held from the M. E. Church in Attica at 10 a.m. Sunday, after which the remains were laid to rest in the Hillside Cemetery this county, the services being conducted by the I.O.O.F. Lodge of Attica of which he was an honored member. The family's many friends here greatly sympathize with them in this their great loss. Catherine Graham was born in West Point, Ind., June 8th, 1844. She departed from the shore of time to enter the "haven of rest" March 30th, 1895. Her sickness was of several months duration and death was a welcome release from a bondage of intense suffering. She was married Dec. 7th, 1871 to V. R. Crabb who is now called upon after twenty-four years of pleasant companionship with her, as the light of hs home, to say a last good bye to all that is earthly and mortal. Three children, Wilmer, Edmond and Luella, with the father, two sisters, and one brother are left to mourn the irreparable loss. She was always cheerful and through her long illness she was always patient and ever thoughtful of others. God only knows how much she wanted to live for her family, but when she found that the arm of flesh must fall, she cheered the family saying, "don't weep for me, for it is well with me and I am ready and willing to go." What must her life have been to those of her own home as they watched her battle with disease while human skill and love stood by, powerless to help. It is easy to say, "Be reconciled," but the poor bruised and bleeding heart cannot forget its pain so easily. Only time, that great healer and the precious pity and love of God can lift us above such mighty griefs. Upon sorrow now as you look upon the vacant chair; buthow strong is the tie, which binds your hearts to heaven; yours is now a dispensation of sorrow. By and by God will raise the curtain, which divides the mortal from the immortal, and you will see over into the better land and your sorrow will be turned into joy. Hers will be the memory of the sweet woman; whose "children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her." That she was loved by all who knew her was envinced by the large concourse of people who came to the funeral and wept with the bereaved friends. The funeral sermon was preached at College Corner by Rev. Wm Wilmer from the text, "As one whom his mother comforteth, so i will comfort you." Isaiah 66:13. They placed rare lilies in her hands - rose buds whose perfume embalmed her for her funeral hour. Mrs. Mitchell, wife of James Mitchell, died at the family residence in this place last Thursday morning after a long illness. The deceased was an estemable Christian lady and leaves several children and a host of relatives and friends to mourn her loss. She was well advanced in years. The funeral services occurred at the M. E. Church Sunday at 10:30 and the remains were laid to rest in the West Lebanon Cemetery. (*Nancy J. Mitchell) Mrs. George Black died at her home, seven miles southwest of West Lebanon last Friday night. A husband and four children survive her. Bert Briggs, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fielding Briggs, died at his home five miles south of West Lebanon last Wednesday night after a patient stuggle with consumption and dropsy. He suffered greatly previous to his death. A wife and one child survive him. The funeral services occurred Friday and the remains were interred in the Shanklin Cemetery. He was about 24 years of age.

Date: 4/11/1895
Origin: Warren Review extracted from microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003496
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 3/25/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.