History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Review- Thursday, July 11, 1895 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Grace Arenia, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Mears, died last Wednesday, aged 2 months and 20 days. The parents have the sympathy of all in their sad affliction. About two o'clock last Tuesday afternoon, Columbus Davidson, a young married man living at Veedersburg, was instantly killed by the caving in of a shale bank where he was at work. He and John Irvin had a contract for mining shale for the Wabash Clay Manufacturing Company at Veedersburg and were at work in a bank about one hundred and fifty yards immediately south of the factory. Irwin noticed the bank beginning to give away and called to Davidson, but the latter being a little deaf did not hear. Irwin called again and Davison half turned about as if to look at the bank when the shale fell upon him killing him almost instantly. He was apparently caught in a half stooping position with his head turned as if looking over his right shoulder. The heavy shale crushed him to the earth all doubled up, ccrushed in the right side of his head and bruised his body terribly. He was hardly covered with shale, it not being over six inches deep over his body adn it was but the work of a minute or two to dig him out, but he was beyond recall and breathed but once or twice after being taken out. He leaves a young wife, but no children. He had just completed and moved into a house of his own, and the twain was apparently happy as mortals well could be. The stricken wife has not a relative living so far as known and is almost wild in her grief. The mother of Davidson lives in Richland Twonship and was unable to be taken to see her son and requested that his remains be brought to her home and in respect to her wishes, they were taken there on Tuesday. The coroner after hearing the testimony of witnesses and viewing the body returned a verdict of accidental death, for which blame could be attached to no one. There was not enough shale fell to have made two wagon loads and the amount of it that fell upon this unfortunate man would but little more than have filled an ordinary clothes basket. The stuff though is heavy as lead. It was shortly after 7 o'clock Friday evening that Michael A. Sellers and M. Harris, two gentlemen going down the Wabash River in a houseboat, passed under the Big 4 railroad bridge at Covington, and as they neared the small island, they saw a man come down the bank on the east side and jumping in a row boat start out toward them. When he got within 20 feet of them, he began to inquire from whence they came and where they were going. He seemed greatly fatigued from the rowing and just as Sellers had told him that he was too old a man to row so hard, he placed his right hand over his heart and said, "Oh!" The boat was then rounding the island and the water being swift, carried them away rapidly, but at every breath they heard the poor old man cry, "Oh!" and knew that something terrible was the matter with him and they pulled into the island, Selers making a landing, while Harris ran back to aid the man, whom he found sitting helpless in the boat, which had floated into shallow water. He immediately waded in to the boat and began pulling it to the shore, when the old man tottered first to one side and then to the other, finally falling forward upon his face into the boat. Harris immediately let go of the boat and waded to the west shore, where he saw some men, which he got to run to the town for aid. Marshal DeHaven was immediately notified, and in company with his brother and Mr. Moulder went to the river, when they took a boat and hurriedly went to where the man was, finding him dead. He was immediately taken back to town and Dr. Stout summoned, but the poor old fellow was past the need of medical skill, his spirit had flown. The remains were taken to Boord's undertaking establishment and Coroner Young summoned, who held an inquest, beginning at 11:30 o'clock Friday night, giving the facts as above stated. The peculiar fact surrounding the case left a shadow that foul play might be detected. Harris and Sellers were both strangers and the authorities felt it their duty to hold them until an investigation could be completed, which they gladly acquiesced to and proved that they were gentlemen, who even among strangers and in the face of danger, would not pass a fellow man who was in distress, even though it might place them in an embarrassing position. The man who met the sudden and peculiar death, proved to be, from papers found on his person, David Timmons, a soldier in Co. G. 100 Ind. Inft., and a pensioner. He had been at the Marion soldiers' home, had cards showing that he had practiced as a faith cure doctor at Hartford City, Ind.; had letters from his wife written from Harper, Kan., where it seemed she lived and from other letters it seemed he was a harness maker and had worked at several twons. From other letters it was ascertained that he was gathering pearls and selling them to Tiffany of New York, having sent them a registered package on July 2d, from Attica. He had a large lot of fine pearls in his possession. In his purse was $32 and a lot of papers. He had a fine Elgin movement gold watch and was well dressed. He was evidently going down the river in his boat and was well fixed, carrying a tent, which he had stretched on the riverbank, a good boat, cooking utensils, plenty to eat and a lot of books among which, was a fine bible. He was a very large man, weighing over 200 punds and from the soldiers' home report it was ascertained that he was 62 years of age. Dr. Stout said his death was caused by apoplexy. It was indeed a peculiar death, away from loved ones along the lonely riverbanks with only strangers to speak his last words as life was quickly ushered into the Great Beyond was the fate of this poor man who no doubt had preferred to roam the country then to be contented at his home surrounded by his family.

Date: 7/11/1895
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003508
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 4/1/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.