History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Review- Thursday, July 18, 1895 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Word was brought to this city about 8:30 Friday evening that two men stealing a ride on freight train No. 64 east, which passes this point about 7:30 p.m. had been run over in this county near the Wabash Rail Road Bridge and killed. Deputy Coroner Fisher immediately repaired to the scene and after holding an inquest, such parts of the bodies as could be found were removed in charge of Undertakers Correll & Rholfing to this place about 11:30 p.m., where the bodies lay in the morgue until Saturday night, pending word from friends when they were prepared for shipment. From cards and letters found on the person of each it was found that the names of the unfortunate men were William N. Livesey of Madison, Wisconsin and John Green of Louisville, Ky., and both were stonecutters belonging to unions in their respective places and their people were immediately wired and a reply reveived in the afternoon of Saturday that friends would be here at the earliest possible date to take charge of the remains. Mrs. Charles Askew of Madison, Wisconsin, sister of Livesey arrived Sunday morning driving actoss country from Danville, and left by the afternoon train with body of her brother for their home in Madison. Mrs. Askew was a most intelligent and refined lady of about forty summers and desired that her thanks be extended to all for their considerations and courtesy in her sorrow. She said, "My brother William, who met such an unfortunate end is a little over thirty seven years old and is the sixth of a family of eight children, four girls and four boys. My father is a stonecutter and contractor of Madison, Wisconsin having lived there for over 45 years. His is now 76 years old. Mother has been dead twenty years. William was a stonecutter and left home last fall spending the winter in Texas then working this way. We heard from him frequently and knew he was in Illinois. We often besought him to remain at home, but he preferred to see the country saying he would soon settle down. His death is a great blow to us and especially to me as we are next in age and always were together." The band escorted the procession to the train playing a funeral dirge, the pallbearers being stonemasons of his order, a large number of which are now engaged at work here. Fred Green of Louisville, Ky., arrived here Monday morning with a casket and took charge of the remains of his brother John, the other victim of the terrible death. He said, "My brother was 19 years old, a stonecutter and left home the 20th day of May. He worked at Avilla, Ind., up to July 3d, since which time he has been at different points. Father and mother both live in louisville. There are four children of us. His death is a great blow to us." The remains after being prepared by Undertaker Correll were placed in a casket and put aboard the afternoon train and accompanied home by the brother. How the accident Occurred As train 46, an eastbound freight passed this point about 7:30 o'clock Friday evening, it was noticed that several were stealing a ride upon different sections of the trains, some between cars, in boxcars and on an oil car. On rounding the curve at the overhead bridge near Attica one of them states that the train broke in two just a short distance back of the engine at the coupling on which he was standing and that Livesey and Green were between the two cars at the next coupling behind him. The front end of the train ran away from them and the rear end came on at a rapid rate. He saw there was going to be a collision and jumped between the C. & E. I. Road and the end of the Wabash restle shouting to the other boys as he did so. They either did not hear or was confused and waited too long. The two sections came together and the cars between which Green and Livesey were standing were driven tight up together crushing the men between them and when the rebound came their bodies dropped upon the track and were cut into the shapeless mass in which they were brought to this place by the merciless wheels. In proof in this both hair and blood was found high up on these two cars about where the boys' heads would have come had they been standing up between the cars, while the drawbars were driven completely in. Their skulls were crushed, the top of the head and brain being completely gone while the limbs, with the exception of one were entirely severed from the bodies both of which with the face were terribly torn and lacerated. Some parts of the bodies were never found while yet others were picked up and brought over Saturday morning. The pieces were collected and the skill shown by Undertaker Correll in the preparation of the bodies for burial is simply a marvel. When prepared for burial the bodies were made even under the most difficult circumstances so that they could be recognized. The boys' sad end is a most pitiful one and carries with it a strong lesson that those who ride at a railroad's expense in this way constantly take their llives in their hands. The bereaved ones, wherever they may be, have the sympathy of this people. By mistake, the three weeks old babe of Dr. Regan of State Line was given too much opium last Saturday, death resulting in a short time. The little one was buried Sunday. Miss Clara Shanks, living near Jackville, in Fountain County, drowned herself Sunday one week ago. She was 18 years old and had been intimate with Dan Keller, a married man, and these facts coming to light is said to have caused the girl to commit the deed. On Last Friday morning as Mrs. Rheub Troxel was hunting over the woods pasture south of their house, on the farm just north of Carbondale for a young calf which belonged to a cow in the pasture, she was horrified upon the discovery of a human skeleton which she uncovered while walking through the dry leaves which the wind had carried into a ravine. Mrs. Troxel immediately notified her husband who reported the strange find to Trustee Mankey, who in turn came to Williamsport and reported the matter. Coroner Yeagy was out of town and Esquire Fisher acting in that capacity went to the scene. Upon examination, a man's hat and a pair of shoes were found and the skeleton, which, with the exception of the head being off, was intact, the flesh being entirely gone from the bones which were bleached white, lay upon its back at the bottom of a ravine about a half a mile directly east of the residence of File Stump, and almost entirely rotted away from the bones leaving them almost entirely bare and showing a complete framework of the human body, when the leafy convering was removed. No clue to the identity of the individual, which from the shape of the skeleton had evidently been a man, was there discovered and the trustee securing a box the bones were buried at Carbondale. Later developments prove however most conclusively that the remains were those of Henry Campbell, a former resident of State Line, this county but who a number of years ago lost his mind and during Joseph Stump's term as Sherif, was taken to Indianapolis for treatment, after which not being cured he was taken to the county farm. Here he has remained for a number of years, showing his insanity at time by wandering off and again returning but otherwise being very little trouble. He left the county farm about the first of last April and a diligent search and inquiry on the part of Mr. Albright failed to get even a slight trace of him, and the search was finally given up on the supposition that Campbell had left the country. The hat, shoes and remnants of clothing found were those worn by Campbell and establish his identity beyond a doubt. The spot where his remains were found was an unfrequented one about three fourths of a mile northwest of the county farm Mrs. Troxel perhaps being the first person there in a long time. Campbell, on leaving the farm, had evidently wandered into these woods and being thin and in poor health had either gone into the ravine to protect himself from the cold or fallen there and perished. The skeleton lay prone upon its back at the bottom of the ravine. Campbell was about forty-five years old, dark complexion and spare built. There were no indications of violence on any part of the skeleton. The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Doc Riggens died at this place Saturday last from the effects of a dose of morphine through mistake. It was about ten days old. Edward O'Brien, residing at the home of his parents near thomas Station, died last Sunday from consumption. The remains were followed to Attica, where the funeral was preached by Rev. Father Lemper. Interment was in the Catholic Cemetery. It is a regular occurrence as this is the third son who died within two years Miss Cora M. McGahan, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alex McGahan, living three miles west of Green Hill, died after an illness of about four months from consumption Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, at the age of 15 years, 8 months and 29 days. Services were conducted by Rev. Joseph Cooper with interment at the Davis Cemetery at Green Hill.

Date: 7/18/1895
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003510
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 4/1/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.