History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Review- Thursday, September 5, 1895 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Bayless Lowe, a prominent young man of Jackson Township, Fountain County, was killed in a runaway near his home Wednesday, Aug. 21st. He was hauling water, and in going down a hill, fell between the wagon and horses and was so badly injured in the runaway that followed that he soon after died. Alexander Waymire of Independence, the subject of this sketch, whose death was chronicled a short time ago, was of German descent. He was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, February 16th, 1816, and died August 9th, 1895, making him 79 years, 5 months and 20 days old. He was the son of Valentine and Elizabeth Hoover Waymire, and when a youth went to North Carolina where he remained only a few months. He then returned to his native state. A few years afterward he came to Warren Township, Warren County. On August 26th, 1838, he married Louisa Marlow and to them were born four children. George, the eldest, entered the army in 1862 and after eighteen months of service was captured and sent to Andersonville prison where he died in 1864. Mrs. Wm McAdams, a daughter, died ten years ago. Mrs. Waymire married Ellen Stokes who survives him. He was a remarkable man. Sixty years ago he united with the U. B. Church and was a most faithful and consistent member. His true Christian character served to tide him through many trials and made everyone his friend. Although he had many reverses he accumulated considerable means. His strict honest and robust common sense carried him over many a rough road and at last enabled him to close a long and useful life in peace. His remains were laid to rest in the Independence Cemetery August 11, among the friends who had gone before. Louis Clifton committed suicide Monday with a revolver at his home on West Lincoln Street. The bullet evidently entered his mouth as the appearance of the hole in his head indicates that the ball made its exit there instead of an entrane. He died instantly; not speaking or even breathing after the shot was fired. The circumstances leading up to the tragedy are very sad. It seems that for some time the man has been losing his mind, as his demeanor has been that of a man whose mind was affected. In the late winter his actions first aroused suspicion. On April 2d, the day of the township election, he left home and was gone a week without his family knowing anything of his whereabouts. He returned, but gave no explanation of his absence. A month later he went off again and was gone several days, returning as before without any explanations. About this time, he began to exhibit a most violent and ugly temper, which alarmed his family considerably, as always before he had been the kindest and most indulgent of husbands and fathers. His wife and second daughter seemed to be the principal objects of his diseased imagination, but the other daughters were also afraid of him. On July 15th, his 50th birthday, he took a dose of morphine with the intention, as he afterwards confessed, of ending his life. Prompt medical assistance saved him, but since that time he had been more despondent than ever, and at times more violent with his family. About two weeks ago he became possessed of a revolver by some means, with which he threatened to shoot his family, and they were really afraid to go to bed at night, fearing that the demented man would kill them before morning. He finally became so violent that in order to protect themselves, it was decided by Mrs. Clifton and her daughters to have the man arrested and confined. In accordance with the plan, they made complaint before Police Magistrate Sabin Monday afternoon. The latter issued a warrant for his arrest and gave it to Marshal Brillhart to serve; the family meanwhile going to the residence of George Duvall (Mrs. Clifton's brother) until after the arrest was made. The marshal went to the residence and found the man in the house. The marshal was cordially greeted and invited into the house and a chair tendered him. After passing a few remarks, Mr. Brillhart remarked that he had a warrant for Clifton's arrest on account of some trouble with his family. The latter asked to hear the complaint and the marshal read it. When the word "revolver" was read, Clifton spoke up and said, "That's a mistake. I had a revolver a couple of weeks ago, but haven't got it now." The marshal suggested that Clifton get his coat and go up town with him. Mr. Clifton said, "All right; just wait here until I go into the bedroom and get my coat, and I'll go with you." These were his last words. He entered an adjoining room and almost instantly the marshal heard the report of the revolver. He stepped into the room and found the body lying on a bed with a smoking revolver in the right hand, the blood gushing out of the mouth and nose and a ragged hole in the right side of his head about two inches above the right ear. The marshal saw the man was dead and after laying the revolver on a stand, he called the neighbors and sent for a physician and the family. Coroner Taylor was immediatly summoned from his home in Westville. He came on the evening train and impaneled a jury consisting of H. D. Thomas, foreman, Charles Hughes, David Stevens, James Cook, A. M. Dixon and James W. Sherrill. Marshal Brillhart and Mrs. Clifton were examined, after which the jury returned the following verdict: "We, the undersigned jurors, sworn to enquire of the death of Lewis Clifton, on oath do find that he came to his death by the reult of a shot from a revolver in his own hands at about 3 o'clock p.m. on August 26, 1895, while in his own bedroom, and from the evidence we believe the deceased was not in his proper mind at the time of committing the deed. We further believe it to be a pure case of suicide." The funeral services were held at the late residence of the deceased at 8:30 Wednesday morning, Rev. T. B. T. Fisher officiating, after which interment took place in the cemetery near Cissna Park, where two daughters are buried. The services were conducted according to the ritual of the Modern Woodmen. Lewis Clifton was born in Warren County, Indiana, July 15, 1845. He was united in marriage with Miss Rebecca Duvall near the place of his birth August 1, 1860. They removed to Iroquois County, near where Cissna Park now stands in 1874, and from there to Hoopeston in 1886, where they have since lived. To them have been born five daughters, of whom three are now living- Nora, Hattie and Minnie. The former is employed as a teacher in the public schools and the whole family stands well in the community. Deceased also has seven brothers and sisters, most of whom are well off in this world's goods, as follows: Mrs. Eliza Rhodes of Pine Village, Ind.; Wm Clifton of Woodland, Ill.; C. W. Clifton of Williamsport, Ind.; Miss Mary Clifton, now traveling in Colorado; Robert Clifton of Woodland, Illinois; Mrs. Catherine Webb of Winthrop, Indiana and Thomas Clifton of Crawfordsville, Indiana. Deceased had an insurance policy of $1,000 in the Modern Woodmen, on which the dues were all paid up, besides a house and lot for a home for his family. Mrs. John Perry died at her home in Liberty Township Monday evening about 11 o'clock, from dropsy. The funeral services were held Wednesday morning. The lady leaves a family and a host of friends to mourn her death.

Date: 9/5/1895
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003515
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 4/8/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.