History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Review - Thursday, August 15, 1895 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

The funeral of Alexander Waymire was largelt attended at the U. B. Church Sunday morning. The services were conducted by Rev. Cooper of Lebanon, The Rev. Surface and Alberts were also present. Bloomingdale, Ind., Aug. 9-Warrants were taken out late this afternoon before Justice Penny, for the arrest of Daniel Keller, his wife, Nancy Keller, and his sister, Margaret Keller, charging them with murder of Clara Shanks on July 6 at Wolf Creek Falls. A warrant was also taken out for the arrest of John Keller, brother of Daniel, as an accessory to the crime. These four warrants were placed in the hands of Sheriff Mull of Parke County, and Sheriff Moore of Fountian County. At 10 o'clock tonight Sheriff Moore arrived here with Daniel Keller, John and Margaret in custody. This legal action in this famous murder mystery was the culmination of four weeks' hard work on the part of the officers. Since last Monday morning, Sheriff Moore, one of the shrewdest in the state, assisted by detective Byrns of Inianapolis and local talent, had been on the scene of the tragedy in the interest of the State. Yesterday attorney Sims of Covington, Thomas, Leader of the vigilance committee, went to Rockville and laid all the State's evidence before Prosecutor Maxwell. A decision was reached last night at midnight, which satisfied the state officials that there was evidence sufficient to show Daniel Keller, his wife and sister were implicated in the murder of Clara Shanks. News of the approaching arrest came to the Keller neighborhood early this morning, and there was a scattering of the family. Mrs. Daniel Keller at once started out for the home of her father, W. A. Cox at Hollandsburg, where Sheriff Mull followed her this afternoon. The preliminary hearing before Justice Penny will take place in the main building of the Bloomingdale canning factory tomorrow at 10 o'clock. Attorney Daniel Sims of Covington, will lead to the prosecution, while the defense will be supported by attorneys McCabe of Covington and Pruett of Rockville. In an interview tonight, prosecuting attorney Sims said there was a chain of evidence, which would be startling when it comes to light. It is understood that the prosecution will attempt to place the murder on John Keller, his wife and sister, while John Keller, it is alleged, helped carry the body and throw it in the Wolf Creek Falls at nihgt, it having been concealed during the afternoon in a barrel in the old summer kitchen. Chips containing alleged blood spots and a pair of trousers which Keller wore on July 6, and which were thought to have blood spots on them, all of which were sent to Inianapolis for chemical analysis, are said to furnish strong evidence against the accused parties. In an interview this morning Daniel Keller said he would not oppose arrest because he could easily prove his innocence of all connection with the Clara Shanks murder. "It is a great mystery," he continued, "but I am as much at loss to solve it as anyone. One mysterious thing is the black sateen shirt found on the morning of Clara was taken out. It is true i had a black sateen shirt, but Dan Shanks, Clara's brother, also had on at the same time, and it was his people at the falls when it disappeared, not mine." Keller was very nervous during the interview, and said he could not hold up under the strain much longer. The northern section of Parke County is greatly excited tonight over the arrests, and citizens from the Wolf Creek neighborhood are now arriving here ready for tomorrow's trial. Bloomington, Ind., Aug. 11-A verdict in the preliminary hearing of Danial Keller, his wife and sister, charged with the murder of Clara Shanks at Wolf Creek Falls, July 6, was reached last night at midnight, when attorney McCabe for the defense announced that he submit to the decision of the court without offering testimony. Justice William Penny's verdict was: "Daniel Keller, Nancy Keller, Margaret Keller, I hold each of you to the next term of the circuit Court without bail, to answer to the charge of murder in the first degree of one Clara Shanks." Dr. John S. Geis, of Indianapolis, told the court of his chemical analysis of the spots on the chips and blocks of wood and on a pair of Keller's pants, all of which releaved the presence of human blood. Mrs. Shanks, the mother, said under oath: "I told Nannie Keller I did not believe the charges made against Clara, were upon she turded to her husband and said, 'Dan, will you let them make me out a lair?' "No, its so," replied Dan. "Then," she said, "I'll knock Clara down in her tracks if she ever steps her foot in my yard." Dr. McKey told of the cuts and bruises on the head. The one blow on the back of the head was suffecient to have caused death. He said the arms were in a defensive position and rigid, and the legs were drawn up and rigid. If Clara Shanks had committed suicide there would have been a clot of blood in the right side of her heart. John Keller was arrested on the charge of being an accessory, but was acquitted by Justice Penney. Sheriff Moore left here this mornig at 4 o'clock with Keller and the two women for the Parke County Jail at Rockville, where they will remain till the September Circuit Court meets. Justice Penny's verdict meets public approval, and it is considered best for the Kellers, even though they should be found innocent by a higher court, as they would not have been safe last night if acquitted. The trend of the prosecution was to show that when Clara left the dinner table, she went over to the Keller home and there Mrs. Keller carried out her threat, assisted by Dan and Margaret. The body was then concealed in the home until dark, when it was carried and thrown into the pool at the falls. The babe of Henry Messmore and wife died Sunday a.m., aged one week and three days. Funeral was Monday morning at 10 o'clock. A telegram was received at this place last Friday morning about 9 o'clock from master mechanic Cooke of the Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad, stating the William Hendricks had just been killed in the yards of the company at Danville, Ill. J. M. Marity, brother-in-law of the unfortunate man, went immediately to Danville to make the necessary arrangements for having the remains brought to this place, where his mother resides. The facts in the case are rather meager, but as near as we could obtain them they are substantially as follows: Mr. Hendricks was a car oiler in the yards. He went to work at 6 o'clock in the morning on last Friday as usual. About 7:10 he started for a distant part of the yards to do some work, when a switch engine came along and he attempted to board it to save walking to his place of labor. He carried a large "dope" can in one hand and other necessary equipments in the other. Mr. Hendricks stood in the center of the track and waited for the engine which was running backwards, to reach him, when he intended to step on the footboard at the rear of the tender and ride to his destination. The engine was running very slowly, not to exceed four mile per hour. By some means the unfortunate man either made a misgrab by having his hands full or slipped. He was dragged under the tender and the cruel wheels crushed out his life almost instantly. He lived but two or three minutes afer the accident. The engineer was watching Hendricks at the time of the catastrophe and immediately reversed his engine, stopping before it had gone thiry feet and preventing the drivers from grinding the young man to pieces. He was badly injured internally, his left arm was severed below the elbow, a gash was cut out on the left side of his neck and his skull was almost crushed. It is thought that the later injury caused his death. It was the intention to bring the remains to this place on the afternoon train, but as the coroner of Vermillion County did not render a verdict in time, the officials refused to allow the body to be removed till later in the day. Accordingly the remains were brought overland, reaching here about 1 o'clock Saturday morning. The news of the sad death of the young man was great blow to our people and spread rapidly. He formerly resided in the western part of the county, where he was well known by everybody. For the last eight or ten years he had been a resident of West Lebanon, friends had procured him employment for the C. & E. I. R. R. The Sunday previous to his death, he had visited his mother and other relatives at this place and was in the best of spirits and was well pleased with his position. The deceased was 22 years of age and was next to the youngest of Mrs. Hendricks and leaves two brothers and two sisters to mourn his tragic and untimely demise. The funeral occurred Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. at the residence of Editor Mavity in this place, Rev. Jakes officiating, after which the remains were followed to the West Lebanon Cemetery by the longest funeral cortege that ever paid tribute to one of his years in this section were laid to rest. Mr. Hendricks was an exemplary young man, social, polite, liked and respected by all who knew him. He made friends of all with whom he came in contact. May his tragic death be a warning to other young men to avoid dangerous positions. To the aged mother, bowed down with the sorrows of such an untimely end of an idolized son, we extend our heartfelt sympathy and assurance of deepest commiseration. Her cup of sorrows is indeed full to over flowing. NO pen can portray it, but there is solace for her in the words of Him who said,"I will be with you."

Date: 8/15/1895
Origin: Warren Review extracted from microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003516
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 4/8/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.