History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Review- Thursday, August 13, 1896 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Jessie V. Pilcher was born January 1880 and died July 21st, 1896, aged 16 years, 6 months and 15 days. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jess Pilcher, formerly of this place and at the time of her death lived with her mother at Riverside in Fountain County. Her death resulted from fever and her illness was of short duration. She was a bright and happy girl, just endering into womanhood and had a host of friends who join the bereaved in mourning her death, which she as prepared to meet. John H. Day was born in Preble County, Ohio, June 9th, 1828. When but a small boy he immigrated with his parents to Fountain County, Ind., where he remained till 1853, at which date he was married to Delphine Newell, the daughter of Ann and Curtis Newell and removed to the prairies of Warren County where the view of the expanse was scarcely obstructed by tree or fence, but in spite of the lonely surroundings, with the assistance of a cheerful wife, he lived a happy and prosperous life till 1884, when the latter passed in silence to pathetic dust, leaving a husband and eight children to mourn the unrestorable loss. In 1887 he was married to Mary E. Taylor of Ill., but he was only permitted to enjoy the blessings of a few years, for on July 28th, 1896, after the sufferings of a few days, the angel of death closed his weary eyes and he rests in peace. He leaves a widow and one child by the latter marriage whose loss cannot be measured. (*Find a grave shows J. H. Day died July 28, 1896 and is buried in West Lebanon Cemetery) George McKinney, who met death under such sad circumstances at the quarry, was born in Benton County, one mile west of Boswell, March 10th, 1858, and died at 4:30 p.m. Friday, August 7th, 1896. He was the son of James McKinney and was raised on the farm. In 1882 he was united in marriage to Miss Addie McNeal, daughter of Mrs. Samuel Wagoner of this place. To Mr. and Mrs. McKinney were born five children, all of whom are living. They moved to this place six years ago, where they have since lived. George was sober, honest, and labored hard for the support of his family. He was an acceptable member of the German Baptist Church in this place and lived a Christian. Details of this sad death are found elsewhere. The funeral occurred at 9:30 Sunday morning from the German Baptist Church, the services being conducted by the Revs. Blakenstaff and myers, after which interment took place in Hillside. The attendance was very large. Frank Feurestein, one of the old businessmen and citizens of Attica, died at his home in the above plae, after a short illness at three o'clock Monday morning. He was about 66 years old and a native of Bavaria and came to this country at the age of 24. The funeral services were held from the Catholic Church Wednesday morning. Our people were startled Friday afternoon about 2:30 o'clock by the report that one of the workmen at the quarry had fallen over the cliff, and soon throngs were seen hastening in the direction of the accident. When our reporter reached the scene he had been raised from "the hole" as the quarry beds are called, and arrangements were being made to take the almost lifeless body home. It proved to be George Mckinney, who for the past three years has been working about the quarry most of the time, being engaged in teaming, but more recently about the derricks, raising stone. When George met with the fatal accident he was managing the chief derrick in lifting stone from the beds to the top of the ground, and was doing what is called "tagging," that is handling the rope, which guides the crane of the derrick. One end of this rope is made fast on top of the ground that it may not slip over the bluff and out of reach of the operator, while to teh otehr is attached a hook which is fatened within the rings of the chain which holds the stone. By some means this hook became loosened, or was not fastened at all, and when George, who stood very near the edge with his back to it, gave a surge on the rope to bring the crane around, the rope yielded loosely, George lost his balance and went over, falling eadlong a distance of just 28 1/2 feet. He held on to the rope, which had slack enough to carry down with him, as it as a long one, and he thus received the full force of the fall. He fell at the feet of George Carter who had just raised from a stooping position where he had been working and but for which move McKinney would have fallen upon him and was crushed into almost an unrecognizable mass. The body was immediately lifted to the top and with the attendance of medical aid was taken home where death ended his sufferings in about two hours. In falling the head must have struck the projecting corners of the layers where stone had been taken, out as scalp wounds indicated such cuts. The skull was terribly crushed at the left base of the brain, large quantites of which oozed from the wounds, while internal hemorrhage was profuse, and the left shoulder was terribly crushed and broken. He never uttered other than a moan and at no time was he conscious. At the home, where the almost lifeless body of the man was taken, and which he had left but little more than an hour before so full of his jokes and good spirit, the scene was too sad for description. The good wife, who had endeavored to persuade George not to work that hot afternoon, stood, surrounded by her five small children, weeping in those great heart sobs born of despair, for she had read the worst in the lines of her husband's face, now too plain to be mistaken. But she, in woman's fortitude, nerved herself to the calamity, comforted by the hope that yet there might be a chance, and was soon doing all in her power to relieve. But a short hour and the spirit had taken its flight, while sorrow and gloom settled down over an almost helpless household. Such sorrow can only be known by those who have been held within its shadows. George McKinney was 38 years old, a good worker, honest, and a faithful member of the German Baptist Church. He leaves many friends who mourn his death. Funeral services were held at the Society Church in this place at 10 o'clock Sunday morning, after which the remains were laid to rest in Hillside Cemetery.

Date: 8/13/1896
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003560
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 4/29/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.