History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Review- Thursday, October 1, 1896 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Word was brought to this place about 6 o'clock Saturday evening that Wilson Brown, an old resident and respected citizen of East Liberty Township had committed suicide by hanging, and the Coroner was summoned to the scene. The inquest proceedings given below and attendant circumstances, developed the following facts: Mr. Brown was about 62 years old, and ahd lived with his present wife about thirty eight years, residing most of that time where he died, on their farm in the above township. They raised a family of two children, Mrs. Lillie Goodrick of Prairie Township and Miss Ida Brown who still lives at home. Of late years, Mr. Brown's health had failed and things did not go as wel with him as in former times and it is ssupoosed he grew despondent and tired finally of life, and decided to end all by the rope route. This he did to perfection. It seems that Mrs. Brown and her daughter and a niece, had but Tuesday previous returned from a visit to Iowa where they had visited the mother who had been very ill, of Mrs. Brown, and the husband, if anything, had been in even better spirits than usual. On Saturday morning of the fatal day, Brown complained of feeling worse than usual and only drank a cup of coffee for breakfast. He left the house about 9 o'clock, saying he would go down in the field near by and shuck some corn for the hogs. He did not return for dinner, and nothing more was seen of him until Mrs. Brown went to the stable between one and two o'clock to get a horse for the girls to drive to town. A horrible sight met her eyes and she opened the door and entered. There over the manager cold and stiff, swinging the lifeless body of her husband of her toil and hardship. The spirit had gone to meet its God. She fled in horror to the house and informed the girls, who going to the stable, cut the body down and summoning aid, it was removed to the house upon a cot where it lay attired just as he had left the house in the morning, where the coroner visited the sad scene. The stable was a roomy log one with the customary loft and a hole over the large wide manger, through which to go up and put down feed. Brown had fed the horses, then taking a half inch rope thong from one of the halters, tying one end about his neck in a noose, he climbed to the loft and then tied the other to a rafter just above the hole and slid off. The body swung down unter the feet were within a few inches of the bottom of the manger. The neck was not broken, death resulting from strangulation. Wilson Brown was a quiet inoffensive citizen, respected by all and great surprise is felt at his unaccounted for action. The burial services were held Monday morning at 10 o'clock. Rev. Wilmer officiated. Interment took place in the Rainsville Cemetery. The following is the inquest proceedings in full: Mrs. Maria Brown being duly sworn, states as follows: I am the wife of the late Mr. Brown. Mr. Brown left the house about 10 o'clock this morning, said he was going to shuck corn in the field near by. I did not see him again until we found him in the stable, between one and two o'clock today, September 26th, 1896. I went into the stable to get the harness and saw him hanging there. He was dead when I found him. He had taken the rope off of a halter, tied one end to the rafter over the manger, and the other about his neck. HIs feet hung down in teh manger. I do not know how long he had been dead. I did not touch the body. I came to the house and told Mrs. Asbury Brier, Miss Maudlin and Miss Ida Brown. The girls cut the body down, not later than 2:30 o'clock. i have lived with Mr. Brown about thirty-seven or thirty-eight years. He was of a jovial, lively disposition. I saw nothing tht left me to be suspicious or feel uneasy about him. I only noticed that he studied a great deal of late. He never said anything to me at any time that led me to suspicion that he contemplated takign such steps. He was 62 years old. I know of no cause that would lead him to take such a step -Maria Brown Miss Ida Brown, on oath, states as follows: I am the daughter of Mr. Wilson Brown. I with mother and Miss Maudlin found the body hanging in the barn. Father was dead when we found him. I and Miss Maudlin cut the body down. The body hung in the manger. I, Miss Maudlin and James Fetterling removed the body to the house about 2 p.m. I last saw my father alive about nine o'clock. He had been in poor health the past two years. At times he expressed himself, during that time, as feeling that his poor health was a burden. He suffered a great deal, stating that he wished he could get something to relieve his pain. I know of no cause that would lead him to take such a step. He was pleasant and seemed in good spirits this morning. -Ida Brown Miss Rosa Maudlin: Mrs. Brown is my aunt. i returned here from Iowa last Tuesday night. i have been staying here most of the time. I have known Mr. Brown about 16 years. He was full of fun, of a pleasant disposition. I noticed nothing uncommon about him within the last tow weeks. I never heard him say anything that led me to think that he contemplated suicide. I have told all I know about this case. -Rosa Maudlin James Fetterling being duly sworn, states as follows: I have known Wilson Brown about 20 years. I would meet Mr. Brown often during the week, living close here. I frequently talked with Mr. Brown. When I first saw the body it was in the manger, standing up, the girls holding it, it having been cut down. The body was cold and stiff. He had been dead some time I think. Mr. Brown never said anything to me that made me think that he contemplated this step. -James Fetterling Mrs. Percilla Brier being duly sworn, states as follows: I have known Mr. Brown a long while, but lately have not been much in his prior to today within the last two months. He seemed to be natural. He was generally lively. I did not see the body today until it was brought to the house. I did not notice the body in particular. From what I know of the case, I think he came to his death of hanging himself. I have told all I know of this case. -Percilla Brier State of Indiana Warren County September 28th, 1896 I, T.A. Clifton, Deputy Coroner of Warren County, do hereby certify, that on the 26th day of September 1896, at the home of Wilson Brown, in Liberty Township in said county and stae, I held an inquest over the dead body of said Wilson Brown, the foregoing being a report in full of said inquest: The said Wilson Brown was about 62 years old, dark complexion, sandy beard, dark eyes, and was 5 feet, 9 inches high. He possessed both real estate and personal property. After viewing the body, hearing the evidence, as above set forth, and after a careful consideration of the same, I find that the said Wilson Brown came to his death by suicide from hanging, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 1 p.m., Saturday, September 26th, 1896, cause unknown. W. W. Yeagy, Coroner T. A. Clifton, Deputy Ed. C. Livengood, Dec'y Wednesday afternoon while David J. Whinery, who resides near East Fowler was hauling hay with a team and sled, he was kicked by one of the horses in the breast. He became unconscious and died about 3 o'clock Thursday morning. Mr. Whinery was born in Ohio, April 29, 1862, and came to Benton Co., in 1887, and was well esteemed by all who knew him. He leaves a wife and two children. Funeral services were held in the M. E. Church at Oxford, Friday, conducted by Rev. I. B. Harper. He was a member of Oxford Lodge I. O. O. F., under whose auspices he was interred in the South Cemetery.

Date: 10/1/1896
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003566
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 4/29/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.