History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport IN, Warren Review Thursday, November 5, 1896 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Diphtheria made is appearance in West Lebanon last week. The little daughter of H. S. Sweet, the operator there, dying very suddenly with it. We learn that other children are ill with it, but it is earnestly hoped that they may soon recover. The stillborn babe or Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Harper was buried Monday afternoon. The little one was bron Sunday night. The mother is improving nicely. Estella Franklin, the beloved daughter of Thomas and Sophrona Franklin departed this life Oct. 24th, 1896 at her home one mile south of Green Hill, aged 26 years, 1 month and 24 days old. She died with that dreaded disease of consumption for which she had been a sufferer for many years. But during her last illness, which lasted three weeks and two days, she bore it with a Christian fortitude. But now she has peacefully passed away trusting in Jesus with whom we hope she is safe evermore. She was not a member of any church, although she was converted during her last illness. She said, "Everything was well with her and bright before her." Oh how sweet it is to trust in Jesus. She was a kind, obedient and loving sister, daughter and friend. She was loved by all who knew her. She had won many friends while here on earth for which they paid her last tribute to her tomb. The funeral services were held at the U. B. Church of Independence by the Rev. Joe Coghill to a large congregation. Her pallbearers consisted of young ladies thus as namely: Miss Lizzie Coghill, Mary Watkins, Allie Smith, Florence Farmer, Tressa Cottingham and Lotta Brown. She left to mourn four brothers, two sisters, father, mother, relatives and friends of which three had preceded her to that better land, but what is our loss is her eternal gain. She was laid to rest in the Independence Cemetery to await for that glorious morn. May this be a warning to her many young friends. Last Monday afternoon about 3 o'clock, Stephen Fears, an agent in the employ of the Wheeler & Wilson Sewing Machine Co., was brutally murdered by a colored man named Miller. Miller had purchased a sewing machine of Fears, and the latter had called to collect the payment, in company with a gentleman named Bouck. Miller was not at home when the two gentlemen called, but soon arrived adn a settlement was made, and Fears and his companion prepared to leave. No sooner had Fears started to leave than the wife of the negro called her husband aside and at a word from her, the enraged Negro bounded out of the door at the agent and before Bouck could detain him, he had kicked him twice with terrific force, from the effects of which he soon after died. The sheriff was telephoned for and bloodhounds were soon on hte trail of the fleeing murderer. He was treed at his home in Grape Creek, but the Sheriff not being present, the Negro was allowed to escape and at this writing has not yet been seen. The Negro's wife told her husband when she called him aside, that Fears had insulted her and this prompted the Negro to commit the crime. A reward of $200 was offered for the capture of the murderer. The murdered man leaves a wife and two children to mourn his death.

Date: 11/5/1896
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003570
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 5/6/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.