History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Review Thursday, February 4, 1897 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Mrs. John R. Johnson living near State Line died at her home Thursday of last week after a severe illness. The funeral services were held Saturday. She was well and favorably known throughout the western part of the county. The funeral of Mrs. John T. Nixon was held in Attica at 2 p.m. Friday, conducted by the Rev. Wilmer. Mrs. Nixon has been a resident of Attica for several years. The remains were interred in Riverside Cemetery. Mrs. Mary Baldwin died at her home in Attica Saturday morning, one week ago, aged 62 years. Teh funeral services were held Monday, interment being made in Riverside. John Idle, 18 years old, son of James Idle, died at the home of his parents in this city at 4 o'clock Friday afternoon of ureic poisoning. The day previous the deceased was engaged in splitting wood at the home of L. F. Putman when a stick he was splitting flew up and struck him in the abdomen in the region of the bladder. The pain from the blow was intense and the boy quit work and went home crazed with pain. He suffered terrible during the night and his folks thinking he had some colic trouble treated him accordingly, not knowing of course, that he had received any injury. At 9 o'clock yesterday morning, Dr. Burlington was called and upon examination discovered that ureic poisoning had set in and had made such headway that his death was but a question of a few hours. All that coiuld be done to relieve the boy's suffering was done, but all to no avail and he rapidly grew worse until 4 o'clock when the end came. --Attica Ledger Clela Mae Grames was the daughter of William and Irene Grames. She was born January 13, 1892. She was taken sick Thursday, Jan. 21st and died Saturday, Jan 23rd, 1897 of abscess of the second ear. The funeral service was conducted by teh Rev. Wm Wilmer of Attica, at the M. E. Church the following Monday. Remains were laid to rest in the Rainsville Cemetery. She was a swee child and loved by all. She seemed impressed with death and would often say, "Papa what would you do if I should die?" Five short years she brought sunshine to this home by her sweet presence, how much we did not know, until now she is gone. We looked at the little chair all tied with gay ribbons and her playthings as her hands had left them. Those litle hands now so cold in death's embrace and thought of grief in that mother's heart as these bring to her thoughts of one loved and lost. Death plucks from us our fairest and best loved, the most precious jewels He gathers and leaves our hearts all desolate. Tearfully we gather the playthings, and the little pillow where pressed her aching head, for she will need them no more. Her sweet stay with us is ended and she rests in a fairer land. Dear little one, we will not forget thee, but will ever love thee with a love that is not fading, until we meet in that life where there is no more death and where tears shall be those of joy. Mrs. Mary A Leach Vanderbilt, who died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. O. L. Winks in this place on Sunday morning, January 31st, was a woman whose memory deserves to be held in loving and lasting remembrance. She was born in Lyons, N. Y. Sept., 7th, 1842. She was the daughter of Albert and Parmelia Leach. She was united in marriage to N. T. Vanderbilt, Feb. 16th, 1865. Three children, Mary P. Winks of this city, Luetta E. Brooks of State Line City, and Rev. William E. Vanderbilt of Zitacuaro, Mexico were born from this union and have been reared to manhood and womanhood and positions of trust and responsibility, thus reflecting great credit upon the loving, departed mother and companion. Mrs. Vanderbilt joined the Presbyterian Church in May 18557 at the age of 14 years, and has therefore been a member of this church for nearly forty years. She was a Presbyterian of long descent, both her father and grandfather being elders in that church. She was always much interested in church and missionary work and the faithfulness of her work is exemplified in the fact that she now has a son doing excellent work in the missionary field of Mexico. The fortitude and bravery she displayed throughout her many days of intense suffering tells how thoroughly her hope was grounded in Christian love and her faith fixed in Christ. None will ever know to what extent she suffered. Nothing can be grander than the implicit faith which she at times had in her Creator, seeming to insist that her long continued illness was His wil and that she would bow to it submissively and without complaint. Her example is a bright and glorious one for every one to follow and her many friends and acquaintances in Warren County will every be proud of her. While the demise was almost daily expected, the blow falls with crushing force upon her good husband and his many friends, a family of three children and a large circle of ladies with whom the deceased was intimate. The funeral was conducted at the Presbyterian Church tuesday afternoon, the Rev. William Wilmer officiating. Interment was in Hillside Cemetery.

Date: 2/4/1897
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003583
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 5/13/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.