History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Review Thursday, March 25, 1897 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Elisha Hitchens, one of the oldest residents of this county, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Wm Kent in this place Wednesday afternoon about 1:30 o'clock from general debility, aged about 90 years. The fureral service will be held Friday at 2:00 o'clock from the residence. Covington Cronkhite, aged about 40 years, died at West Lebanon, Sunday night of Bright's disease. he was unmarried and well known in this section of the county, Funeral services conducted by elder Mavity were held from the Christian Church in the above place Wednesday at 1:30 after which interment was made in the West Lebanon Cemetery. Samuel C. Fisher was born in Warren County, Ohio, August 10, 1825, and was the eldest of eight children. His parents were Alfred and Elizabeth Fisher, natives of north and south Carolina. In the fall of 1831 the family moved to Fountain County, Ind., Locating near Attica. on April 6, 1832 the family located on a of 160 acres in Adams Township, which the father had obtained by patent from the government. Deceased was married in 1854 to Miss Amanda L. Sewell, and from that time until the breaking out of the Rebellion in 1861, he engaged in merchandising in Pine Village, his being the first dry goods store opened in the place. September 7, 1861, he enrolled his name as a private in Company H, Tenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and ten days later was mustered into the service. He served as a private and noncommissioed officer until July 17, 1863,when he was promoted over three ranking officers to the Captaincy of Company H of the 116th Indiana Regiment, for meritorious conduct. Six weeks after he was promoted to Post Commissary, and in January 1864, he was advanced to the position of Chief Commissary of the Department. In the fall of 1864 he was discharged, his tern of service having expired. he served in eleven pitch battles, among them being Shiloh, Perrysville, Fishing Creek and Fort Donelson, and was three times wounded. For five years after the war he engaged in business at New Albany and engaged in legal pursuits. From April 1857 to the time of his death, he filled some legal office or official trust, such as that of Justice of the Peace, an office which he was filling at the time of his death, Notary Public, Deputy Sheriff, Deputy prosecutor, Town Trustee, etc. In 1887 Mrs. Amanda Swell Fisher died and Mr. Fisher remained single until 1890 when he was united in marriage to Mas. Mary E. Bristow, on October 12 . Mrs. Fisher survives him. NO children were born from these unions. Mr. Fisher and his first wife, several years ago, adopted Miss Ella Odle, who is the wife or Mr. Ele Stansburry and who was only 9 years of age, raising her to womanhood. He was a member for many years of the Masonic, Eastern Star, Odd Fellow and G.A.R Orders, all of which were present, with many brothers from other lodges, and took part in the funeral exercises , which were held at the Presbyterian Church at 2 o'clock p.m., Thursday, March 18, 1897, the Rev. Wilmer officiating, after which the remains were laid to rest, by his brothers and sisters in fraternal ties, in Hillside Cemetery. While practicing law in the old courthouse, in 1882, Mr. Fisher was stricken with paralysis and although he rallied, he had never fully recovered, the disease having taken fast hold upon him. While his sudden death on Tuesday morning, particulars of which have already been given, was a great shock to our people, it was not wholly unexpected, since a return of his old trouble in multiplied form, was expected. His death removed a good citizen, a worthy brother and staunch friend; one honest and conscientious. Few men have been as useful and made as few enemies as Captain S. C. Fisher. His many friends and brothers unite with the bereaved relatives in sympathy in their sorrow over his death. Died at his home at this place on last Friday morning, Samuel Wiley, aged 55 years. He leaves a family and a host of friends to mourn his death. Mr. Wiley was a Sergeant in Company F, 81 Reg., Ohio Volunteer, a good soldier, a husband and father and trusty neighbor. Interment took place at Mound Cemetery Sunday. At 3:15 p.m., Saturday March 6, 1897, the death of George Ellison Nolin occurred at his home in Boswell. The funeral services were held at the M. E. Church in that place at 10:30 a.m., the following Tuesday, Revs. Yount and Broomfield officiating. The Masonic fraternity, of which Mr. Nolin was a faithful member, conducted the burial services. The deceased was born in Benton County, Ind., April 30, 1857 and spent the first fifteen years of his life on the farm. At the age of 16 he began to teach school and continued in that occupation for six years; during this time he took an active part in organizing and promoting the Warren County Teachers Association, he being its first president. In 1884 he embarked in the grocery business in Boswell and made a success of it from the beginning. He continued in this business until last summer, when his health compelled him to give it up. Besides this, he had investments in the Benton-Warren Agriculture Society and the Citizen's State Bank of Boswell. In 1886 he was chosen to represent Benton and Warren Counties in the 55th General Assembly. His true character evidence itself no place so clearly as in his church relations. Here he was shown to be a true Christian, fatihful in all his duties to God and ever watchful of the interests of those about him. The Boswell Enterprise says of him: The character of the deceased was marked by many excellent and beautiful traits. He studied to exemplify the Spirit of Christ in kindness and true benevolence. He was ready to help the needy and to lend his assistance to such as were in trouble. He tried always to speak kindly of other people, and to cover with the mantle of charity the faults of others. --Pine Village News We made last week a brief mention of the death of Davy Mullen, as he was commonly known. The following more extended account we take from last week's West Lebanon Gazette: Davy Mullen of Liberty Township, died very suddenly last Tuesday morning about 9 o'clock at Goodwine & Miller's hardware store, hemorrhage caused by the bursting of an artery being the cause of death. The deceased had been in poor health for several years from bronchial trouble, but of late was apparently much improved in health, and only a short time previous to his death had stated to a friend that he never felt better in his life. When stricken by the death angel, he was sitting in a chair at the hardware store reading a paper. Those present noticed that he acted strange, as if trying to spit, and blood began to ooze from his mouth and he fell to the floor. He was placed upon the counter, and Dr. Osborn, who was present at the time, made a hurried examination, but the spark of life was entirely extinct, and the spirit of Jerome D. Mullen he passed to the great beyond. Dave Mullen, as he was familiarly called, was liked by everybody who knew him. Always jovial and sociable, he made friends with all whom he met and it is safe to state that he had not an enemy in the world. For years he had made his home with Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Swisher, to whom he was related. He was about 55 years of age. The remains were taken to the home of his sister, Mrs. Joseph Piles, on Fourth Street, where the funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock this afternoon, being in charge of the West Lebanon Masonic Lodge, of which order the deceased was a worth member. He was also a member of the G.A.R. Interment will be made in the West Lebanon Cemetery.

Date: 3/25/1897
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003590
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 6/3/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.