History Record View

Title: Obituaries Williamsport, IN. Warren Review- Thursday, July 15, 1897 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Where the Little Pine empties into the Wabash, at a point about two miles north of Independence occurred the drowning of Arthur Bunnell, on Saturday afternoon last. William Stone and George Johnson went to the river to take a bath. They were accompanied by a son of Mr. Johnson and Arthur Bunnell, whose ages were 11 years respectively. The only swimmer in the party was Mr. Stone. The four waded about in the shallow water for a while, finally joining hands for the purpose of venturing out into deeper water. As they waded toward the center of the river, they suddenly found themselves precipitated from the sandbar into a deep hole, and all except Stone struggling to prevent themselves from drowning. Stone grabbed the Bunnell boy adn swam to shalow water placing him in a safe position telling him to remain until he rescued the others. He found Johnson and his son in a precarious position, the boy having grabbed his father about the neck and both had disappeared once before he reached them and it was with great difficulty that he saved their lives, nearly losing his own in the attempt. In the excitement of the occason, it seems that he Bunnell boy waded out into deep water again, and as Stone turned his attention to him a second time, he saw him disappear in the water. He attempted to rescue the little fellow, but he was nearly exhausted and was unable to do so. Just how the lad came to get into deep water a second time will never be known. Probably in his excitement and fright, he waded toward the channel instead of the shore and was soon carried off his feet by the current. As soon as Stone recovered himself he dove for the body of the boy, but was unable to find him. Drag hooks, a large seine and explosives were soon at hand, and the search coninued until night and Sunday morning the work was resumed continuing all day without finding the body, hundreds of people being engaged in the search. Monday moning the search was resumed and continued until in the afternoon, when H. W. Sorrelis and S. Bales, who had been searching for two days, went down the river in a boat, and when nearing the mouth of Kickapoo Creek, near Attica, they discovered the remains floating in the water. The body was taken to Attica, where an inquest was held by Coroner T. A. Clifton and about 9 o'clock in the evening the remains were claimed by William Stone, who took them to Independence for burial. For two days parties had been searching for the body in the vicinity where it went down and in the meantime it had come down stream about seven miles. When found it was in water less than a foot deep. Two days in teh water had left it in horrible condition being so badly bloated that the features were not distinguishable and decomposition making the body black and causing an odor that was very disagreeable. The lad attended school in Williamsport and was an inmate of our Orphan's Home for some time after the death of his mother, which occurred seven years ago. His mother was a sister of Mrs. Jessie Willis of this place. He was the son of Thomas Bunnell. Mrs. Polly Hughes, aged 88 years, died at her home in Attica last Thursday. Mr. and Mrs. Hughes located in Attica in 1836. At Clymers, a small station on the Wabash, east of Delphi, a 12-year-old boy was run over and killed Monday. The boy had been picking berries near the railroad and undertook to get on an eastbound freight train, when he fell under the wheels. Both legs and both arms were severed from the body. He was picked up and taken to Logansport. When the train arrived at that place the boy's father was witing having been notified. The boy had not yet lost consciousness and plainly told his father how the accident happened. Of course his condition was beyond medical assistance and the doctors pronounced his death only a matter of a short time. Two children, a little boy and girl, aged three and four years, were run down and killed by a C. & E. I. fast line at Alvin, Ill., Monday evening, at about five o'clock. The little girl had not been out of the sight of her mother five minutes when she was killed. The boy's head was severed from his body and he was otherwise badly mutilated. The little girl was not so badly disfigured. The boy was the child of Louis Sailor. Will Starkey was the father of the girl. A fifteen-month-old child of Mrs. Andrew Hefferman of West Lebanon was taken sick in Attica while Mrs. H. was on a visit there last week and died. The remains were taken to West Lebanon, where the funeral occurred Monday. it is but a few months ago that the father of the child died. This second blow falls heavily upon Mrs. Hefferman. The Review extends sympathy in her affliction.

Date: 7/15/1897
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003603
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 6/17/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.