History Record View

Title: Williamsport, IN. Warren Review- Thursday, October 21, 1897 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

James Brown died at the home of Mrs. Sennie Ritenour last Saturday after a few days' illness of lung fever. He was laid to rest in the Gray Cemetery Saturday afternoon. Rev. White had charge of the ceremonies. Frank Helms, who has been staying at the home of Jesse Mock at Indiana Mineral Springs for the past three months, went to Attica Saturday afternoon. About suppertime he returned and soon after setting down to the table he fell off the chair and the people who went to his rescue found him in an insensible condition. A physician was finally called and after making an examination said that he could not live many hours. He remained in a comatose state until 2 p.m. Sunday, when he died. There were some conditions and circumstances surrounding the case that looked a little suspicious. Helms was supposed to have fifty or sixty dollars about his person, but an examination of his effects revealed the fact that he had but little; three or four dollars. Coroner Sailor was called and held an inquest Sunday and while he was there, he instituted some inquiries, and in some mysterious way sixteen dollars came to light by being picked up outside the house near the doorstep. It was thought at the time that more would be found in due time. The verdict reached by the inquest was that death was cuased by paralysis. Helms was 41 years old and single. Elmer Evans, a young man about 28 years old, living with his mother near Independence, went out to a pond to fish Sunday afternoon, leaving home about 2 o'clock. When he started out he asked his mother to go with him but she declined saying she would go some other time. Some time after seven o'clock the young man not having returned, his mother went out to search for him. Not being able to find her son she asked Elmer Slifer to aid in the search. He went to the pond and not being able to find him, he went to Independence and secured some men to aid in the search, they having concluded that he had been drowned in the pond. A rake was fastened to a pole and they soon succeeded in locating the body of the young man that was found in but three feet of water. Young Evan was subject to epileptic fits and often when taken he would start on a run, going blindly into or against anything. It is reasonable to suppose that as he approached the pond he went into a fit and that he ran into the water and finally fell and died of strangulation before coming out of the fit. Coroner Sailor held an inquest Monday and a verdict was reached in accordance with the above facts.

Date: 10/21/1897
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003615
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 7/3/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.