History Record View

Title: Williamsport, IN. Warren Review- Thursday, Febuary 9, 1899 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Peter Gray, unmarried, after an illness of 18 months, died February 4th, 1899, and was buried at the Bumgardner Cemetery last Monday, Rev. W. N. Coffman officiating. The funeral and burial ceremonies were under the auspices of the lodge of Odd Fellows of this place. Deceased leaves an aged mother. He was also a member of the Modern Woodmen and was insured for $2,000. James Hefferman of Marshfield, after an illness of several months of consumption, died at his home Saturday. The remains were taken to Attica on Monday and the funeral held at the Catholic Church, interment being made in Riverside Cemetery. Deceased was not married, but leaves an aged mother and brothers and sisters. Jesse C. Shurtz, the second son of Henry and Amanda Shurtz, formerly of this place, was killed last Sunday at Hammond, Ind., by accident. It is supposed that a wheel of a wagon attached to a runaway team passed over his head, causing immediate death. He was over 27 years of age and was born in Limestoneville, Montour County, Pa., December 9, 1871, coming to Williamsport, Ind., December 12, 1878, and with his parents moved to Hammond, August 4, 1890. He was working at time of death for Deming Colburn Lumber Co., with whom he had been six years. News of his death was received here early Monday morning. The friends here deeply sympathize with the stricken family. Mrs. Sarah Hickman McCartney was born in Ohio, September 8th, 1828. She departed this life January 24th, 1899, aged 70 years, 4 months and 19 days. She was the daughter of Wm and Mary Hickman and was one of a large family of children all of whom have gone before except one brother, Silas. Mother has been a great sufferer, but she bore it patiently. Her death was caused by heart failure. She was not a member of church, but was a true Christian at heart, always ready to do a kind deed for friend or foe. Deceased was married in 1846 to Israel Davis, to whom five children were born- three sons and two daughters-of whom only one son, Frank, survives. In 1864, she was married to Wm James, to them one son, John N., was born. In 1883 she was again married to James McCartney, who still survives her, and who together with her two sons, Frank and John, and a large circle of friends are left to mourn her loss. Oh, who can realize the loss of mother? None except those who have undergone the trying ordeal. None so well as those who have stood around the couch of death and seen for the last time those eyelids close; remembering that they have so many times watched through the lonely hours of night when we were helpless and dependent children; though almost wearied beyond endurance by the self imposed vigils, patiently remaining at the bedside, closely observing the sufferer, unwilling to leave to another the care of her child. When we remember what mother has endured for us, when we remember what counsel and advice we received, when we remember it was always to mother we went in our childhood troubles and the sympathy and help always ready, and when we were grown to manhood's and womanhood's estate and yet retained the same tender and loving affections of mother-then we realized what we have lost. Oh, holy name, sacred above all else that earth contains. The two children of Lewis Hickman and wife of Liberty Township departed this life last month. Mary Zella, the first called was born July 15, 1895, and died January 8, 1899, aged 3 years, 5 months and 25 days. She was taken ill with kidney disease, followed by tonsillitis, from which she suffered 11 days when death came. She was a bright, loving child and the hope of her parents. At the loss of her, their grief was almost unbearable; but it was not over, for in a few days, Coza, the only child remaining, was taken with croup from which she suffered 9 days. This was followed by tonsillitis, which soon caused her death, leaving Mr. and Mrs. Hickman childless and lonely in the world. Coza was born December 5, 1893, and died January 14th, 1899, aged 5 years, 1 month and 4 days. She was a beautiful child, being deprived of speech, caused by sickness in infancy, made her the pet of the household. She could hear quite well and was exceedingly good to obey, and her younger sister, Zella, who was constantly by her side watching and caring for her; they were fondly devoted to each other. These little ones are now angels of heaven and all that remains to be seen are two small graves in Carbondale Cemetery. The bereft parents have the profound sympathy of their many friends and neighbors. May they look for comfort to Him who doeth all things well in this their sad hour of trial. James Baird. The subject of this sketch was born in Frankford, Philadelphia County, Pa., April 27th, 1827, and died January 26, 1899. He was the third son of Robert and Clarissa Baird. Of the home family one sister remains, living in Philadelphia. He was married to Mary A. Hawkins, October 10th, 1854 in Hatboro, Pa., and came to Indiana the 15th of the same month. He settled in Warren County, near Williamsport, where he lived for thirty years. He then moved to his late residence in Fountain County. One son, Francis C., was born to Mr. and Mrs. Baird, who, with the wife, survives to mourn the loss of a devoted husband and father. Nancy Ann Turpin. Deceased was September 3, 1831 in Decatur County, Indiana. She was married to William Sutton September 12th, 1847. She came to Warren County in 1874 and resided most of the time at Wililamsport. To this union was born five children, one son died in his infancy. Two sons and two daughters remain to mourn a loss of a mother. She with her husband united with the M. E. Church in early life. She fell asleep February 3, 1899. Funeral took place from her late home at W. S. Sutton's Interment was at the Shanckland Cemetery, Rev. D. Brubaker of Williamsport officiating. John Wesley Brown. The subject of this sketch was born in Jordan Township, Warren County, Indiana, April 9th, 1856. He was the youngest son of Cunningham and Sarah E. Brown. September 13th, 1877 he was united in marriage to Miss Indiana Ballah of Vermillion County, Indiana, who preceded him February 23rd, 1893. To them were born five children-Clarence M. and Harry of Bedford, Iniana, Cora of Lafayette, Ada of Covington, and Gracie, who died in infancy. His aged and father and a sister also survive him. Most of his life was spent in this county. For a few years he lived in Lafayette and was employed by the Lafayette Bridge Company. In politics he was a staunch republican. He was not a member of any church, but was a firm believer in the Abrahamic faith. Deceased had the grip in 1895. The following year he went to Iowa, thinking that the change of climate would be a benfit to his health. For a short time he grew stronger, but another attack of the grip was too much for the already frail constitution. During his illness he was ever patient, cheerful and hopeful. He returned home January 3rd and died of consumption January 25th, 1899, aged 42 years, 9 months and 16 days.Funeral was held at the residence of his sister, Mrs. Harry Evans, Sr., after which kind hands laid to rest the mortal remains in the West Lebanon Cemetery. Lucas Ray has been a citizen of Williamsport for nearly half a century. During this time he has witnessed the gradual change of Williamsport from a river town, receiving and sending its produce on the Wabash to a town on the bluff, fed itself and feeding others through the network of overland railways. One by one the living links of our community's history have passed away, until very few remain to tell the story of our daily life. The deceased was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, on the 28th day of July 1828. He was the son of Joshua and Elizabeth Ray, to whom were born ten children, five of whom died in infancy. Of the family there now remain-Mrs. Elizabeth Cronkhite of Indianapolis; Wesley Ray of West Lebanon, and the oldest brother, John Ray, who lives at Thomasboro, Ill. When a mere boy his parents moved from Ohio and settled in Indiana. In his twenty-second year, Lucas Ray married Miss Mary Adams at Attica, Ind. They moved at once to Williamsport where they have lived since, with the exception of a few months during one summer, when they lived at Independence. To this couple were born six children, four of whom died when quite young. Two sons have grown to manhood. Frank and Fred only survive, to mourn their father's loss. Mr. Ray enlisted in 1861 when the war broke out, to stand in defense of the Union. At the close of a year, his time expired and he came home, having suffered several hemorrhages. For his services rendered and loss sustained, he drew the regular stipened from the government. Lucas Ray has been a man of a remarkably strong constitution. Most of his life has been practically free from physical ailments. Four years ago his heart began to fail perceptibly in its usual ation. Medical advice was sought. Much medicine was taken, but little by little the organ gave way. By the first of Ocotber last, he was unable to leave home. During the intervening weeks, as he often said himself, he has gradually failed. Heart failure was aggravated by dropsy and these at last were intensified by passive pneumonia. These in union with a worn out constitution, casued the final hour to come at early twilight Tuesday last. With scarcely an ache or pain he "wrapped the drapery of his couch about him" and peacefully went forth from the land of "shade and shadows." As life's latest sun was setting low, this man of unbelief, scarred with sin, and worn with worldly service, saw the mistake of his life. For days, aye weeks, he sought pardon for disloyalty, and peace in believing. The enemy of his soul prolonged the struggle. Never did a well, strong man have a harder stuggle to be freed from the evil Prince of this world. But at last a fortnight before the final change was to come the last ditch was reached, the enemy surrendered, and the love of God conquered. Then for the first time in seventy years, this man knew the meaning of peace. He said "all is so calm and restful; every day seems like Sunday. If I knew I had an enemy, I'd send for him to come that we might forgive. I can't count my friends and I have no enemies to count." Prayer became a delight to him, and Christian song was the sweetest melody of his heart. We lay him to rest as a member of this church and as one who gave clear evidence that he had a title clear to a home in yonder world. Funeral was held at the Methodist Church Thursday at 2 o'clock p.m., February 2nd, 1899, Rev. L. C. Bentley officiating, assisted by Rev. D. M. Brubaker. Remains were interred in Hillside. The pallbearers were: H. McCain Belangea, Thomas Phipps, James Anderson, Shederick Ross, Harvey Walters and Joseph Butt.

Date: 2/9/1899
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003632
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 7/22/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.