History Record View

Title: Williamsport, IN Warren Review Thursday, November 1, 1900 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Attica, Ind., Oct. 30-Richard Love, 70 years old, committed suicide at his home in this city. On returning from a funeral, his wife stumbled over his dead body in the cellar. The act was committed with a shotgun, the muzzle being placed against his bowels and the trigger pulled with a stick. Mr. Love had been in ill health for two years, and despondency over his condition was the cause. He was one of Attica's best citizens. James Bell, only son of Miss Ella Gill of this place, died at the home of his grandparents on High Street, October 23, 1900, after an illness of one week. The child was born December 25, 1895, and at time of death was 4 years, 10 months and 8 days of age. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Mr. Jones of the U. B. Church on Wednesday, October 24, 1900 at 2 p.m., and interment was made in Hillside cemetery. This day has witnessed one of the most awful accidents and saddest deaths in the history of Attica. The news circulated on the streets at 7:30 o'clock that Walter Colvert had been killed at Armstrong Colvert's elevator brought sorrow to the hearts of everybody. Walter Colvert went to the elevator alone at 3 o'clock this morning to clean wheat before the regular force went to work at 7 o'clock. He started the engine down in the basement, presumably without much steam on. The wheat cleaner is on the third and last floor of the elevator near the north roof. It is supposed that the belt had run off and in placing it in position again, his clothing caught in the screws, which projected from the wooden pulley, and in a twinkling he was whirling around the shaft. Death must have been almost instantaneous, but his inanimate body continued to revolve with the shafting until the steam in the boiler had been exhausted. The pully and shaft are about three feet from the floor and the same distance from the roof of the building, where it approaches the eaves. His arm was probably first drawn into the belt as he threw it on the pulley, and in the rapid revolution his limbs struck the roof and floor until they were badly mutilated. He was not found until 7 o'clock when Harry Holder went up to oil the machinery. When he reached the third floor he met a very sad sight. The mutilated body of the unfortunate young man cold in death was hanging over the shaft with the rubber belt wrapped about him. Unable to recognize the inanimate form, he went at once to the office and notified Armstrong Colvert, owner of the elevator, that a man was caught in the belt and had been killed. Horrified with the thought that it was his brother, Armstrong rushed to the place and recognized him. William Young, the engineer at the elevator, had already cut the body loose and placed it on the floor. Corwin Colvert was also soon at the sorrowful scene, and assisted by willing hands prepared the body for its removal to the home of his mother, Mrs. Hester Colvert. This is the second time within the past few years that death has entered the Colvert Elevator. The other victim was Ed Lawson, the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lawson, who was smothered to death in a wheat bin. This same belt and pulley, which caused the death of Walter Colvert, has often caught employees of the elevator, but in each case their clothing was torn loose and they escaped. Walter Colvert was born on a farm near Stone Bluff, February 1, 1897, and was the son of Dr. and Mrs. William Colvert. He has made his home here all his life, attending the Attica schools, and afterward working for his brother, Armstrong Colvert, in the capacity of bookkeeper and weigher at the elevator. Always industrious, he often helped at the elevator, as was the case this morning when he went to work at 3 o'clock in order to push the work as fast as possible. He was of a very quiet temperament, but had many warm friends who know his true worth. He was a model young man in every respect, clean in his habits, a total abstainer and a true Christian. He was secretary of the Presbyterian Sunday School and took a great interest in all church work. In his mother's home, he was a loving and devoted son and brother. TO his sorrowing mother, whose grief is boundless, the sympathy of the entire community is extended. Besides his mother there are four brothers, Will, Armstrong, Corwin and Charles Colvert, to mourn his untimely death. -Attica Daily Ledger, October 26, 1900 Our neighboring city of Attica the past week has been having thrilling experiences in the way of sudden and tragic deaths. Last Sunday forenoon while left alone at home, Richard Love, and old and well-known citizen of Attica, during a fit of insanity, destroyed his own life by shooting himself through the body, using a shotgun. At the time of the shocking occurrence, his wife was ttending the funeral services of Mrs. Sarah Smalley. Mrs. Love returned home about 11 o'clock and not finding her husband began a search for him. Having occasion about noon to go into the cellar, Mrs. Love found her husband of the floor, cold in death. Dr. Rice says death was instantaneous. Deceased would have been 77 years of age next April. He had been suffering for some time from kidney trouble, at times his sufferings being almost unbearable. Mr. Love had been married twice, having seven children by the first wife. His second wife survives him and also his seven children-five son and two daughters. Mr. Love united with the Christian Church 40 years ago and was an earnest worker in the church and a man of sterling character. Remains were taken to Sherburnville, Ill., where the funeral services were held last Tuesday. Lota Edmondson, youngest daughter of John Q. and Martha J. Hock of this place, departed this life Friday afternoon, October 26, 1900, after an illness of four days. Lota was born at Green Hill this county on January 8, 1896, and at her death was 4 years, 9 months and 18 days of age. Rev. Wm Wilmer of the Presbyterian Church and Rev. Mr. Jones of the U. B. Church officiated at the cemetery on Saturday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock, October 27, 1900. Remains were interred in the family lot in Hillside. Lota was a beautiful child and one of the jewels in the home. Her death is a sore trial and it is yet too soon for the stricken parents and sister to recognize in the heavy stroke the loving, tender touch of the Father. Lota was one of the little ones addressed by the Savior when he said, "Of such is the kingdom of heaven." To the weeping parents he say, "Forbid them not." After the storm through which the soul has passed, after the tears and anguish of the parting, then will come into the life of each, a new sweet peace which only the Father giveth. We do not bury beneath the mould and clods of the tomb our beloved-it is only that which is dust and must return to dust. The jewel shines brighter and takes on a clearer luster. The soul expands, advances, and grows toward perfection. In the bosom of the Savior our children are safe ever more. Mr. and Mrs. Hock have the tender sympathy of all in this community. May their trust in Christ be their solace now as they pass through the shadows of sore affliction. David B. Purviance. This gentleman was one of the pioneer farmers of this county. He was born in Giles County, Tennessee, March 21, 1819. At the age of 10 he came with his parents of Indiana, settling in Pike Township. His father purchased 80 acres of land near the town of West Lebanon. Deceased remained with his father until he was 21 years old and after that age he received a part in the products of the farm. Mr. Purviance was married twice, his first wife being Miss Fannie Hamilton to whom he was married December 26, 1844. Mrs. Purviance died October 8, 1858, leaving four children-Edward D., Mary F., Fannie and Lizzie. April 1, 1860, he again married, his second wife being Miss Mary M. Beck, by whom had had three children-Ida V., William E. and Rhoda A. His second wife died in 1893. He leaves six children-Dr. E. D. Purviance, Misses Fannie and Lizzie Purviance of Attica; Mrs. Rhoda A. Francis of Marshfield; Mrs. Ida Burge of West Lebanon, and Dr. William E. Purviance, a physician in the Government Hospital at Eagle City, Alaska. He had for years made his home with his daughter at West Lebanon, but since September 1, he had been living with his son, Dr. E. D. Purviance at Attica. His illness was cause by dyspepsia resulting in diarrhetic trouble, producing death after a week of illness, aged 81 years, 7 months, 1 day. His father was the late Eleazer Purviance who died in 1869. His grandfather was a Colonel in the Revolutionary War. Deceased in the early days was a Whig and at the organization of the Republican Party became a member of that party. He cast his first vote for President in 1840 for General Henry Harrison, called the "Log Cabin" campaign. For many years he was a member of the Christian Church and died in the faith of that denomination. Short funeral services were held at the residence of his son in Attica on Wednesday at 11:15, October 24, after which the remains were removed to the Christian Church at West Lebanon where more extended services were conducted by his pastor, Rev. W. E. Payne. Interment was made in the West Lebanon Cemetery. The pallbearers were: John Pugh, Bolivar Robb, Samuel Frame, Frank McBroom, John D. Crawford and Rufus Pribble. Deceased was greatly esteemed by all who knew him. He was one of the best citizens of the county and had many warm friends.

Date: 11/1/1900
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003712
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 10/17/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.