History Record View

Title: Williamsport, IN Warren Review Thursday, November 29, 1900 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Charley L. Stump Youngest of George B. and Matilda Stump was born in Warren County, Ind., April 26, 1875; at 11 o'clock a.m., Thursday, November 8th, 1900 he fell asleep as sweetly as a babe in his mother arms. No pen can portray the picture of sadness that was cast over the home of the parents in Colorado, the home of the brother and family in Warren County, over the entire community where his childhood days were spent, over the people of Williamsport and vicinity where Charley grew into manhood and where perhaps, his closest and dearest ties of friendship were formed, when, on the eighth day of November, word went forth that the 'Great Reaper, whose name is death," had seized his house of life and sequestrated it forever. The early part of his life was spent on the old farm and homestead in Prairie Township, Warren County, Where he grew to be a bright and promising man, full of life, vim and vigor. He was a great favorite among his associates in childhood and was loved and esteemed by all who had good fortune to make his acquaintance later in life. He removed with his parents in 1892, to Williamsport, Ind., where he engaged with his father and J. G. McCord in the hardware business and during which time it seemed that some day he would stand in front of the rank as a successful businessman. But, alas! He contracted lung trouble, which, fostered by indoor work, soon developed into consumption, and he was compelled to abandon his business. The dreaded disease too firm hold on his many frame; like the rough see billows seize upon a frail bark and wreck it. He sought a change of climate in the hope that he might regain his former good health, going to Colorado, where he, with his devoted parents, spent several years, but to no purpose. All was done for him that love and medical skill could contrive, but death had marked him for its own. Day after day, as summer passed, he was ripening for the world where his faith, and his hope, had so ,long lived. The pressure of his hand at some casual parting for a day was full of gentle warning - as if he said - prepare for a long adieu! He foresaw his approaching doom; and that he dreaded it, only so far as he dreaded the grief that would be left in his broken home. In early days Charley bade fair to reach the allotted age of a man, but such was not the will of the All-wise Providence. For the strong in body, mind, and character we naturally expect long life, but such was not the decree of that Great Judge. The call comes and we must obey. It comes to all alike, to king and to peasant, to prince and subject alike. Let Christ, the purest among the mighty, the mightiest among the pure, be an example and when the summons come to all, it will open us to a life of immortality. When it comes in early life, we are reminded that the young, as well as the old must die. He met Death cool, calm and Bravely. during the long weary months of sickness and pain, when strength failed he always had words of cheer and comfort to the broken hearted mother and father and so often told his mother the he would give anything if she would suppress the sighs and heart sobs of the sorrow. his letters to his brother and family were always of a cheerful nature. Funeral services were held at his late home in Colorado Springs. The remains, accompanied by his father and mother, were brought back to the old home still occupied by his brother and family, where there were showers of flowers and the hands and hearts of those who had loved him dearest in life, and could not forget him in the quite halls of death. The funeral services were conducted at the college Corner Church, the Church of his childhood, by Rev. J. J. Claypool of Romney; former pastor of the church, who had known the family since Charley was a mere child. He was assisted by Rev. Mr. Lawhon, resident pastor. When we think of Charley, as we know him, so young, so intelligent, so generous, so energetic, so beautiful, so brave, so everything that we are apt to admire in a young man, it is needless to add that the service was a beautiful and impressive one. The music was furnished by kind friends, and when they sang that beautiful song, 'We'll Never say Good Bye to Heaven," it seemed as though a vision of the brightest day that ever dawned on earth was ushered in with that song, which we will continue to sing, down the ages until that time shall come when the angel of God shall stand with one foot on the land and the other on the sea, and shall declare by Him that liveth that time shall be no more. After the service the funeral procession moved to Boswell Cemetery, where, with carful and tender hands, were laid to rest the son and brother, the joy and pride, to await the coming of that great and better day. Jonathan E. Horn of Prairie township, died suddenly in his place Wednesday evening, November 21, from neuralgia of the heart, aged 51 years, 3 months and 26 days. Funeral services were held in the Methodist Church here, Saturday November 24th, 1900 at 2 p.m., Rev. Wm Wilmer officiating, assisted by Rev. J. N. Greene, and interment was made in Hillside Cemetery. The pallbearers were John Mankey, Frank Clark, Ed C. Liengood, C. G. McClaflin, John VanReed and Clarke Dick. William R. Street Tuesday evening, November 20th, 1900, William R. Street, an old citizen of Pine Village and a Union Soldier, died at the home of W.A. Thompson, his son-in-law. He was born October 16, 1830 and was 70 years, 1 month and 4 days of age. He was born in New York City. He was Educated in the common Schools, but had to work from the age of 8 until he was 20 years old by the month. December 12, 1861, he enlisted as a Union Soldier in Company D, and was assigned to the 40th Indiana Volunteer Regiment. He was severely in the face, arm and hip, at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain. By the wound in is was he lost his right eye and cheek bone. He was honorably discharged from the service November 23rd, 1864, after a faithful service as a true soldier of nearly three years. After returning home, he engaged in shoemaking until 1881. At this time he was made postmaster at Pine Village under President Arthur. Deceased had been married twice, his first wife dying in 1963. He was the father of 8 children bye this marriage, three of whom survive him - James E. Street of Kansas, Mrs. Sarah Gaither of West Lafayette and Mrs. Etta Thompson, of Pine Village. He became a member of the Methodist church in 1867, under the ministrations of Rev. J. H. Clearwater. He served as class Leader from 1896 and remained in this capacity for several years. His demise takes from our midst another of the old Veterans, not only in the service of his country, but in the service of the church militant. He has entered into his reward of eternal life. Amaziah High, over 80 years of age, in Pike Township, was killed last Monday by a falling tree, which he had just cut down. He was stuck in the back, injuring his spine, and on the upper part of body. He lived but a short time after the accident. Coroner Armstrong was sent for and went down in the evening to hold the inquest.

Date: 11/29/1900
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003715
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 10/28/2014
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.