History Record View

Title: Williamsport, IN Warren Review Thursday, April 4, 1901 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Obituary Fannie Elnora Moore Deceased was the wife of J. E. Moore, and died March 23, 1901 at 5:30 p.m., aged 35, after an illness of 28 days, from typhoid pneumonia. Funeral occurred at the family residence in Winthrop, and remains were followed by a large concourse of friends to Carbondale, the place of her childhood home, where they were met by a large number of friends of her childhood . to pay the last homage to all that remained of a dear friend. Norah, as she was called her many friends, was the daughter of Alexander and Martha Ann Mehaffey. She was married at the age of 18 to James E. Moore, son of James and Lydia A. Moore of Williamsport. To them were born 7 children who survive her-Robbie, Pearley, Ruby, Raymond, Eddie, Willie and Mary, the baby, 18 months old, and who, by Norah's last request, is placed in the care of her estimable Aunt, Mrs. Abner Mehaffey of this place, where she will received a mother's care. Pearley, the eldest, will undertake the performance of the duties of the home, although only 13 years of age. those who know her say the little heroine will succeed nicely, with the help of the wise counsel of the ladies of Winthrop, who have shown themselves ministering angels to the bereaved children. The death of Mrs. Moore is a sore affliction to the family, for she was their all in all. She was a woman of unquestionable character, kind and sympathetic amid all the discouragements of four years of delicate health. Previous to her last illness, She went about her duties with that unflinching determination characteristic of a true mother whose love could only be surpassed by the Christ. But the hour arrived when the Father said, "come unto me all ye that are heavy laden and I sill give you rest," and obeying hos omnipotent will she cast her burden at Jesus' feet and smiling, across the river, left her husband, children and friends to mourn their loss. But what are the sorrows of the young? their thoughts will soon center about new objects. but the husband, of middle age, who finds himself compelled to fight the battle of life alone and lead seven pairs of little feet along the narrow path of virtue and righteousness and deliver the precious charge of seven souls entrusted to his care from the snares of the world. Think of the awful responsibility and let the thought command the truest sympathy of those who claim to be his friends. Remember that when by your help, he has accomplished the task before him, he will have lived so that when his summons comes to join that innumerable caravan which moves to that mysterious realm where each shall take his chamber in the silent halls of death, he goes not as the galley slave at night, scourged to his dungeon, but sustained and soothed by an unfaltering trust, and approached his grave like one "who Wraps the drapery of his couch about him and lies down to pleasant dreams." The pallbearers were: John Andrews, Dick Hickman, Louis Payne, Wade Parigo, George Simmerman and James Beach, all of Winthrop. Mr. Lewis McIntosh, an old and respected citizen of the Barrens, died Saturday a.m.; the funeral was held at the house Sunday morning. Mrs. john R. Slifer of this place, was paralyzed Sunday morning, growing gradually worse through the day, that night and Monday, finally dying Monday night. Funeral was at the residence yesterday at 2 p.m., Rev. J. N. Greene officiating, and interment was in Hillside. Joseph Cox Deceased was the son of Jonathan and Charity Hollingsworth-Cox, and was born in Ross County, Ohio, February 25, 1815. In boyhood he removed with his Parents to Warren County, Ind., where in June 1836, he was married to Sarah Hinshaw, in whose companionship more then half a century of his life was spent. Early in the 40's he Immigrated to Missouri, but on account of failing health, as well as the conviction that he could not be contented to establish a home in a state blighted by the curse of human slavery, he returned to Indiana, which, with the exception of one year spent in Iowa, he made his home until called from labor to reward on evening of March 25, 1901, at the age of 86 years and 1 month. For almost 50 years he has been a member in good standing in the U. B. church, holding his membership at independence almost the entire time. While in his usual health, a short time before his last illness, he said he was willing to stay in this world as long as god so willed, or to leave it at any time, and when he began to realize that human skill could no longer avail and that the call which was to release him from his intense sufferings had indeed come, his testimony was: "I am ready to go any minute." So, having given evidence that it was well with his soul, and having suffered god's will concerning him he fell asleep gently and peacefully, another illustration of the faithfulness of God to His promise unto those who choose to make Christ their satisfying portion, "lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." Rev. J. S. Cooper of Clark's Hill, Ind., officiated, Rev. Mr. Jones of this place, assisted, at the funeral, which was held at 11 O'clock a.m., Wednesday, March 27, 1901, at the U. B. Church in Independence. interment was made in the cemetery north of town. The pallbearer were five grandsons and the granddaughter's husband.

Date: 4/4/1901
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003737
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 1/14/2015
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.