History Record View

Title: Williamsport, IN Warren Review Thursday, February 27, 1902 Edition
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:

Obituary John Emil Swanson, who was killed by the fast train last week at the Ringer crossing, was born in Sweden and his parents are still living in that country. He was born August 22, 1868, and at his death was 33 years, 5 months and 28 days of age. The funeral occurred at Attica, at 2 O'Clock p.m., last Friday, Rev. Mr. Benson, pastor of the Swede church, preaching the sermon in the swede Church. The remains were interred in the Protestant Cemetery at Attica. Jacob Ringer and Agustus Swanson, a brother, witnessed the accident and say the engineer failed to whistle or ring the bell at the crossing. Obituary John Israel Hickman. The subject of this sketch was born October 4, 1859, and died at this home February 5, 1902. He was the son of William and Mary Davis-Hickman. He was united in marriage April 17, 1896 to Mrs. Alverda Rice, of this county. To them were born 3 children - two girls and an infant son, deceased. He leaves to mourn his loss a wife, two children, aged 5 and 3 years; four brothers, two sisters, an aged mother, other relatives and a wide circle of friends. The funeral service was held in the M. E. Church at Rainsville on Thursday, February 6, 1902, at 2 o'clock p.m., conducted by the Rev. Mrs. Fry, of the All Saints denomination, by whose efforts he was led to accept Christ and was happily converted. He had suffered severely for several months and the best of medical aid was secured and the tender care of a devoted wife and loving friends was given, but the Master called and he turned from his pathway to a brighter and better land. In Memoriam Francis Marion Moore, the only son of David and Tripena Moore, was born near Culver Station, Tippecanoe County, Ind., July 13, 1864, and departed this life in peace at the family residence in this place, Thursday, February 20, 1902 at 3:15 o'clock p.m., aged 37 years, 7 months and 7 days. When only a year old his parents moved to Montgomery County, Ind., and as he grew up he assisted his father on the farm. From Montgomery County the parents moved back to Tippecanoe County, locating at Oakland Hill, near the city of Lafayette, where they resided until the spring of 1871, when they moved to the Warren County Poor Farm to take charge of that institution. At that time the subject of this memoir was in the 8th year of his life, and was a useful and obliging little fellow to his parents. After living at the Poor Farm three years the father decided to move to Williamsport, and in 1874 the family became citizens of this place and here "Frank" as he was better known, remained until death translated him to brighter realms. He attended the public schools here, acquiring a good common school education. In August 1886, he entered in to a co-partnership with his cousin, John Cuppy, in the retail grocery business and soon developed in to a hustling, energetic businessman. He remained in this business until 1892, when he engaged in the dry goods business with Mr. Fred. L. Gemmer, a young man of nearly his own age. In September 1894, he engaged in the clothing and gents' furnishing business, opening stock in the new room, which had just been finished. In this business he remained until his death, the firm the last year being Judy & Moore. For many years he was a member of Warren Lodge, No. 57, I.O.O.F., of this place. He united in with the Methodist Episcopal church in 1882, under the ministrations of Rev. L. S. Buckles, who was then the pastor, and was baptized and received into full connection in 1897, under Rev. C. L. Harper, now of Hebron, Ind. Deceased was united in marriage September 3, 1890, to Miss Anna Irwin, Rev. H. N. Ogden performing the marriage ceremony. To them were born two children- Clarence Irwin and Edith Grace. In the fall of 1892 at the fourth quarterly conference Bro. Moore was made a member of the Board of Trustees of the church. He has served ever since as a trustee and died in the service. His malady confined him tot he sick room from the 2nd of December 1901 to February 20, 1902, a period of 81 days. He never doubted his final recovery and was patient and kind to all who so faithfully nursed him and with prayers upon their lips hoped against fear that it would be so. The last scene on Thursday was most beautiful and pathetic. About 9 o'clock he asked that all the family would come in and kneel about his couch. When the mother, sister, wife and children had taken their places he looked earnestly at each one and then said: "Oh, how nice! this is one of the prettiest pictures I have ever seen." At a time prior he said he "wanted to live- his children needed him so much; but he was ready to go and did not fear death." A short time after this tender scene he began to sink and while kind loving friends watched with bated breath the passing of the spirit into the "Valley of the shadow of death." a voice was heard saying, "Fear not, for lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of the world." there we left him- we could go no further. Our vision was too dull to behold the wonderful things beyond the veil. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. E. S. Shumaker, at the M. E. Church Saturday, February 22, 1902, at 1 o'clock p.m., and interment in Hillside, under the auspices of Warren Lodge, NO. 57, I.O.O.F. The pallbearers were: Jacob Wolfe, Fred. L. Gemmer, C. L. Messner, Edgar Webb, R. M. John and Fred. Holtz.

Date: 2/27/1902
Origin: Warren Review Extracted from Microfilm
Author: Sharon Roberts
Record ID: 00003775
Type: Obituary
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 3/21/2015
Entered By: Chris Brown

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.