Login

History Record View

Title: Independence News
File Attachment:
Attachment Type:
Text:

Submitted by Mr. & Mrs. Walter Salts
Taken from Oct. 16, 1930 Fountain-Warren Democrat

Sunday being clear and bright many people spent the day motoring, and quite a number autoists passing through Independence asked to be directed to the grave of Cicott, the founder of Independence, and also wanted to know where the pageant was given in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the founding of Independence.

For the information of others who may wish to visit these historic spots let it be said that the land lies east of the levee leading from Independence river bridge and was at first owned by Cicott. The land next passed to Jacob Haynes, then to John May whose heirs sold it to Rev. E.J. Covey, and his widow, Mrs. Augusta Covey, now residing in Attica, sold the land to Andrew Swaim. The land is now owned by his widow, Mrs. Flo Swaim, and son Claire, of Independence. Mrs. Swaim and son, Claire, gave the large stone which was placed at Cicott's grave, which event was dedicated Sunday, October 5. Through an oversight it was not announced that Mrs. Swaim and son donated the stone marker.

Date: 4/1/1990
Origin: Backward Glances
Author:
Record ID: 00000095
Type: Book
Source Archive: Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library
Date Entered: 8/10/2001
Collection:
Entered By: Amber M Knipe

Information in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues contact the archive source listed above.